View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:34 am

Super in St. Peters 
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post Super in St. Peters
Name's Brian. I've owned Triumphs, an MG, an old Mercedes and a Corvair. This Vw stuff is new to me. I have questions, lots of questions. Let's start easy and work our way up. It's a '73 Super Beetle with over 100k miles, runs ok, no smoke, leaks a little. What's a good motor oil for it? Also, it has stock-ish tires. What are good tire pressures? The glove box is saying something like 18 and 29. That seems a bit low. What works good for you?

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:32 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: Super in St. Peters
Welcome Brian, glad you finally got in. Post some pics of it if you can. I generally use straight SAE-30 in VW engines and run 30lbs in my tires but I have a bus. Beetle is probably around 30lbs as well but it's been awhile since I've driven a beetle.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:29 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

BTW, I currently have a Corvair in my garage. It's a '63 spyder. It's a long term project that I haven't been very motivated on lately. Currently stripped down and engine and trans removed, been doing some metal work (floors, battery box and a couple other spots).

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:41 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

BrianB wrote:
Name's Brian. I've owned Triumphs, an MG, an old Mercedes and a Corvair. This Vw stuff is new to me. I have questions, lots of questions. Let's start easy and work our way up. It's a '73 Super Beetle with over 100k miles, runs ok, no smoke, leaks a little. What's a good motor oil for it? Also, it has stock-ish tires. What are good tire pressures? The glove box is saying something like 18 and 29. That seems a bit low. What works good for you?

I like straight 40wt, but an oil question is like religion as you probably know.
For tire pressure, run the manufacture's recommendation. ACVW's are very light, and stiff tires with high pressure and you'll be riding on bricks with very little contact patch.

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Oil can be a touchy subject. At least I didn't ask about synthetic!

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:45 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

stl_stadtroller wrote:
BrianB wrote:

I like straight 40wt, but an oil question is like religion as you probably know.
For tire pressure, run the manufacture's recommendation. ACVW's are very light, and stiff tires with high pressure and you'll be riding on bricks with very little contact patch.

Yeah pretty much what he said. That 30lbs I mentioned again was for a heavier bus. Beetles are probably in the 20-25 range

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:12 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

been running a '63 bug for 18 yrs. I went with higher tire pressures because the book was set up for bias ply tires. I have been running radials since a '67 bug I had before this one. I have tried a lot of different pressures and finally deceided on 28lbs in the front and 32lbs in the rear tires. I drive the car dailey though never in the snow and I usually don't leave in the rain, but then again this is Missouri. I have never had any handeling problems in wet or dry conditions. I run 10W30 in the car as it is used all year long (except in snow). I have done a lot of hanging around at "Motorcars" thru the years and Bob's suggestion was to run Rotella which is for diesel engines because of the extreem additives. I never changed over as all he sold was 30wt (I like 10w30). I have heard from others that you can buy Rotella multigrade at WalMart and someday I will try to find it since I'm about out of Valveline. My engine was put together in '07 or earlier but I did have to put a new top end on it last year. I'm older now and don't wind up the engine till pistons start swapping holes any more :roll:

Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:47 pm