View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:42 am

Adam & Katie from Kirkwood 
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post Adam & Katie from Kirkwood
Hello everyone. Took a couple days to figure out how to sign up (hint: you have to email info@thebrickroomonline.com ) but I've made it.

We bought a (mostly) restored '67 Riviera with a (somewhat complete) so42 interior.

Our debut was going to be BNNTA but we couldn't get him running in time. Instead we'll be at the Kirkwood Greentree car show. Stop by and say hello!

Another guy here in Kirkwood has a single cab and he has been a great help so far.

I've attached a couple pics--hopefully it works!

Attachment:
front.jpg
front.jpg [ 365.22 KiB | Viewed 1730 times ]

Attachment:
rear.jpg
rear.jpg [ 355.41 KiB | Viewed 1730 times ]

We're on the hunt for a whole bunch of interior parts from curtain rods to cabinet door latches. Any suggestions would be great (I'm currently working through samba but would always love local.)

Myka - 03 Rialta FDD

Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:30 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: Adam & Katie from Kirkwood
Welcome to the Split-Bus world in the STL region. There are quite a few of us around. I have three myself including a Jan of 1967 SO-42. I hope to bring something Splitty out to the Benton Park VW show in Oct if I'm off, see the thread in "Events", don't know about the Kirkwood show you speak of. I organized and ran the BNNTA #29 event that you just missed.

Your Camper looks very nice! You have an earlier one than mine, as you have no back-up lights. It appears to be a Panel Bus conversion which was common with Riviera's, and I'm guessing that it is a "walk-thru" Panel model. There is a local group of Split-Bus folks here called the "Missouri Micros" that do things together occasionally. Please post more photos of your Camper, and a bit more of the story of your search and successful purchase of your Camper.

Enjoy your Bus!

Bill Bowman

Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

What a beauty! Welcome to the site. My wife and I have a bunch of bay buses, a single cab, and a thing. Hope to see y'all around!

Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:46 am
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Bill -- Thanks for the welcome.

Kirkwood Greentree is the local festival, one of the many events is a car show on Sunday and it happens to be down the street from our house. Not a specific event of any kind, but it'll be the first we go to with the bus! http://www.kirkwoodmo.org/content/For-V ... -2014.aspx

Yes, it is a walk through panel US conversion. It seems most of them did not have a pop-top on them, this one did and it looks original but I am not sure I'd be able to tell if it wasn't.

To the bus story:

I bought the bus as primer-ed shell in February and paid a guy named Ron in Colorado (originally from Iowa) to restore it. (He has a couple pictures from past BNNTA in his shop; including one award)

Attachment:
1967 in paint booth 005.JPG
1967 in paint booth 005.JPG [ 187.22 KiB | Viewed 1706 times ]

Asked Katie to marry me in front of the bus on earth day (April 22nd 2014) and gave her the bus instead of a fancy ring.

Attachment:
tumblr_n4rp3qjLGO1senpbao1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n4rp3qjLGO1senpbao1_1280.jpg [ 111.03 KiB | Viewed 1706 times ]

We picked him up in KC from the guy on Aug 21st.

Attachment:
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 315.43 KiB | Viewed 1706 times ]

Tried to drive it to BNNTA and only made it about 20mi..turns out the guy that did the restore didn't clean out the gas tank so we've been working through sludge, bugs, water and anything else that could get into a gas tank over the years of living as a shell in a barn. We now replace a fuel filter every 20-30miles. It seems to clean out the tank we'd need to pull the engine and we've just done our first oil change (with help,) so I am not sure we're ready for that large of an adventure yet.

Took us 12 hours to make it from Kansas City to St.Louis (and about 8 fuel filters) but we made it.

Attachment:
photo2.JPG
photo2.JPG [ 533.38 KiB | Viewed 1706 times ]

The original Riviera interior was in very bad shape so I agreed so an so42 interior. We ended up with most of the interior, missing the headbanger cabinet, the door on the chair/seat/magazine rack thing, curtain rods and a latch on a cabinet. Also ended up with a bay icebox. The icebox I knew about, the rest of the missing/broken items were a surprise when the bus was delivered.

Attachment:
photo3.JPG
photo3.JPG [ 570.26 KiB | Viewed 1706 times ]

Though I wish I would have gotten a complete bus for the premium price I paid. I can't complain too much. The body is totally rust free and in great shape.

So that brings us to today. Looking forward to meeting everyone in the community. Learning about Samba and hopefully tracking down all the missing parts, work through the gas tank sludge and keep the bus and Katie happy for years to come.

Thanks!

Myka - 03 Rialta FDD

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:42 am
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Glad you found the site and posted up some pics for the community to enjoy. It was really a pleasure to meet you, Katie, and your sweet bus!!! It’s an understatement to say that I’m stoked to have another split bus in the local community.

Crawling around your bus this last weekend was a blast and our girls enjoyed the opportunity as well... they always love a new audience for their shenanigans. Having such a nice specimen parked in the driveway also undoubtedly helped to tone down the “patina” of my collection... if only for a few hours. :roll:
Attachment:
adam katie bus.jpg
adam katie bus.jpg [ 701.39 KiB | Viewed 1700 times ]

Now help Adam and Katie find those last bits guys. Bill & Ted – I know you guys have dug up some of this so42 stuff on one of your many excellent adventures!

Peace. Dave

Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:52 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

:mrgreen:
welcome, from yet another 1967 camperbus owner !
Yours makes my ol'Yeller look sad by comparison,
but not-2-worry, there's plenty of help on this forum
to help you find those missing bits !

also, camping, in this group, ain't just for summertime :lol:

Attachments:
mudtop2%20013%20%28Large%29.jpg
mudtop2%20013%20%28Large%29.jpg [ 510.26 KiB | Viewed 1687 times ]
Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:26 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Congratulations guys!

All those parts are out there and available, but unfortunately, not cheap! Westy goodies have really taken off in value as so many owners try to "complete" their interiors as the value of old Split-Bus Westfalias skyrockets. "If" you have trouble finding original Westy items, there is a guy named Jeff Powers (in Florida) over on theSamba.com who re-created whole interiors and the various parts whose quality is very well known, he might be of help to you too. Cool story on the purchase of your Bus. If I'm off for the Kirkwood deal, maybe I'll try to get there. I'm really trying to be off to attend the Benton Park show in Oct, very cool, small VW gathering. Yes, get a few of us over some evening and we will coach you so that you learn how to safely pull and re-install your motor, so that you can get that tank out and have it properly cleaned out. You're gonna keep having problems with your fuel delivery system if you don't deal with that dirty tank once and for all. It's SOOO easy, you won't believe it! Learn to "Master your Transporter"!

If you haven't been told by others already, go invest in the correct era "VW Workshop Service Manual" published by Bentley publishing for your Splitty Transporter. Well worth the expense! And an new or old used copy of the "Idiot Guide" repair manual written by John Muir would be helpful also.

Before you drive it again, PLEASE be certain that you have brand new "correct" soft fuel lines that are safety wired to their components. If you aren't sure if they are brand new, order up 5 feet of new braided-covered rubber fuel line from Wolfsburg West ( http://www.WolfsburgWest.com ) and we'll show you how to replace them and safety wire them on. We don't want that pretty Bus burning to the ground! Oh! And go buy "two" $20 each dry chemical fire extinguishers and stick 'em in the Bus where you can grab them easily (behind your front seat?) if you ever have to "bail out" in a hurry to fight a fire on your or a friends old Bus. They can and have saved many a Bus in distress!

Okay, enough Sage wisdom for now! Enjoy your new and very cool acquisition!

Bill Bowman

Last edited by BulliBill on Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:18 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Welcome, nice Rivi. I don't think I've ever seen a Rivi that wasn't converted from a panel and didn't have a pop top.

Bill, knows what he's talking about as well as several of the other guys in the St. Louis area.

Personally I'm down in SW Missouri near Springfield and drive this old POS. It's a '60 SO-23 Westy. I'm also year round camper w/ DB.
Attachment:
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 163.61 KiB | Viewed 1671 times ]

Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:45 am
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Attachment:
photo3.JPG
photo3.JPG [ 583.85 KiB | Viewed 1666 times ]

Bill -- The guy we bought it from made sure we had a fire extinguisher. Its a brand new one designed for cars. Good suggestion on placement though. We have two copies of the 'idiot guide' and it has been helpful so far for a belt replacement. Thanks for the referral for the guy over at Samba. I am keeping my eye out over on their classified, since I don't have to have anything right now (other then maybe that door latch--very annoying) hopefully I'll be able to collect the parts without too much insult on my wallet. Glad you enjoyed the story. We would do the Benton Park VW show but we'd already scheduled it with a couple friends for the first camping trip in the bus (I guess curtains before then would be good :-)) I'll post a couple pictures here from the Kirkwood event. The fuel lines don't look exactly like http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... =111209185 but are similar, I figured we'd need to replace them soon anyway with how many filters we go thru..can't be good to be stretching/messing with them so often. The shopping cart over at wolfsburgwest is growing. The community has been great, VW_Dave alone has helped so much, but asking for help with the fuel tank would be far too much (esp since I haven't helped anyone else out.) I'd love to assist and will pay the person with the plan/tools, be it in cash, beer/food or trade (I'm a LAMP developer/system/network administrator.)

Attachment:
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 548.93 KiB | Viewed 1666 times ]

Willeye -- My (very limited) information on Riviera mostly came from http://www.rivieraregistry.com/id_pre68.php . It is good to hear there are more pop tops out there then the 'very rare' that site claims. Hopefully that means there are at least *some* parts floating around if I ever do have an issue. Hopefully the pop top will continue to work perfectly (other then a very small leak--but that will be fixed soon)) so I never have to find out.

Attachment:
photo (1).JPG
photo (1).JPG [ 531.39 KiB | Viewed 1666 times ]

I've included a picture below of our 2003 Eurovan RV from a trip last year to FL. Our longest trip was a 6 week east coast adventure last year.

Attachment:
tumblr_mzh53xql7v1senpbao1_1280.jpg
tumblr_mzh53xql7v1senpbao1_1280.jpg [ 108.29 KiB | Viewed 1666 times ]

Myka - 03 Rialta FDD

Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:15 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

:mrgreen:
Good, u're Already reading the Best 'procedure' book on old vw's, imho ,,, esp. 4 nooBies 8)
:shock:
Now, speaking of opinions, & B4 some of the more rabid H8'r's get onna u'r case, u would be
Well advised to re-locate that fuel filter AWAY from on top of them hot wires on the coil. :roll:
:oops:
When ,,, not if, but when ,,, one of those flexible gas lines leak, then a live electrical wire in
the vicinity is the LAST thing you want, esp. on the "pressurised" side of the pump :cry:

i like to install mine underneath the fuel tank, over top of the transaxle, and downstream from
a ball valve ( makes engine pulls ever so much "dry-er", eh ~ ?? ) ,,, Not a good location, if u'r
swapping them out every few dozen miles, but it's a Quantam Leap more safe 8) just sayin'

8)

Keep & save them fire extinguishers, one day they Will save u'r bus, mebbe even u'r Life 8)

cheers & MazelTov's ,,, db
- - -

p.s. = the Bentley "bible" for "Transporters up to 1967" is in-F'n-valuable ,,, i think list price is
~ $95, +/- & well worth it, but searches of <thesamba.com>, CraigsList, or at vw swap meets, a
used one is much less; i got my real nice one for $45 at Eureka Springs vw swap some yrs ago :mrgreen:
happy Hunting !

Last edited by David on Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:05 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Howdy neighbor. You're not too far from Russ (Polecat) and myself in UCity.
Dave beat me to reccomending you move the filter - I like to put them between the front (front is front!) tin and the tank somewhere - but not over the exhaust either! That is, if I use them at all. I haven't run a filter on my '64 in many years. No problems so far. Of course that depends on the condition of your tank though.
It's not as hard as you think to get the engine out to get to the tank. As a first-timer I'd say a couple hours to be cautious, for an experienced ACVW'er - under 30 minutes.

Funny thing - I was just browsing Rialta classifieds this week! How do you like yours?

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:14 pm
Profile WWW
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 824.87 KiB | Viewed 1636 times ]

We ended up getting 1st place in special interest this past weekend at the Greentree car show!

Attachment:
photo (3).JPG
photo (3).JPG [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 1636 times ]

It was way more work then I'd ever imagined. Katie and I both were sunburned (and very tired) by the end of the day. We got to meet a lot of people, hear a ton of stories and just enjoy talking about the bus.

We plan to clean the tank this weekend (20th or 21st) coming up. Dave has volunteered to help us and I'm ordering some parts for it this evening.

Attachment:
tumblr_mynitp95X91senpbao1_1280.jpg
tumblr_mynitp95X91senpbao1_1280.jpg [ 248.08 KiB | Viewed 1636 times ]

Our Rialta is the the 22FD Floorplan and we love it. We've taken it everywhere. It shares some of the same (fridge being the main) part as the westfalia in similar years. We haven't had any major problems with it. The minor projects/problems we've had you guys would laugh. Hardest part to find is the tires, they still make them but only in Europe.

Myka - 03 Rialta FDD

Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:34 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

congrats on the trophy at Green field... I flew that day and ended up in Detroit.

Bring both the Rialta and the Riviera to the next BNNTA. I think we've only had one Rialta ever show up a few years ago. Definitely a Volkswagen, so definitely welcome at that event! The Missouri Micros could all have a hell of a party inside that thing! Nice collection.

Bill

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:57 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

squagl wrote:
Our Rialta is the the 22FD Floorplan and we love it. We've taken it everywhere. It shares some of the same (fridge being the main) part as the westfalia in similar years. We haven't had any major problems with it. The minor projects/problems we've had you guys would laugh. Hardest part to find is the tires, they still make them but only in Europe.

I had a '99 EuroVan for a few years, so I definitely know what you mean. I went through about 3 sets of tires that the "tire shop" slapped on, insisting they were correct... they were not. Even for the passenger vans, there are only like 1 or 2 tires to choose from, at about $200/ea. Same for a proper load rated tire in a Vanagon too.

I surrendered the EV when it got to a point where it required about $1,000-$1,500 per year in repairs to get it to pass inspection. Damned VW idiot light! Instant fail!

Congrats on your Major Award!

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:52 am
Profile WWW
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Adam,

I would definitely invest the time to pull that engine and take care of that fuel tank. Changing fuel filters every 20 miles is going to get old really fast. When I pulled the fuel tank in my 74 Westy I found a shop towel wrapped around the fuel sender float. The PO had told me that the gas gauge had not been working correctly :lol: If the tank is really bad check Wolfsburg west and see what the cost is on a replacement tank. I just replaced the tank in me 61 beetle and a new tank was only $120. We'll worth it for a clean fuel system.

Dana

Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:31 am