View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:00 am

Jason in Arkansas 
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post Re: Jason in Arkansas
Ya its nice in October, always the first Saturday. It is a great deal of work but I enjoy putting on the show. I don't always get to enjoy the show itself so the camp out is nice. Tends to get a bit chilly since we are RIGHT on the river, maybe 50 feet, but always a good time. I have known Chad and Kim since I got in the club, they moved a bit later, don't get to see them as much but always enjoy their company.

I reserve in advance a block of camp sites so we all can be in the same area. They have now put a two night min so $40 for one site for two nights. To keep me from losing money since most people camp only one night, I double up people on a spot and charge $20 for each couple/person/car. That way I get back the $40, so camping the second night is free in a way! A few of us stayed 2 nights this year. I think this year I almost broke even so I was happy. Last year I had seven sites on reserve so 14ish people were there.

The show was great this year. About the same about of cars, 65, but we sold out of the event shirts, first time ever for that. We had a guess the part contest, LOADS of great door prizes, DJ, and food vendor. We did a silent auction for the first time and raised almost $400 for the charity. We will for sure have it again this year.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:33 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

it's going to be hard to compete with Indigibus for this crowd. a lot of people here go to Indigibus every year. i've been to toad suck before and Conway is probably closer for me but i can't resist the fall float trip now that i'm hooked. BTW this years event shirt ( Conway show ) was a good design. i saw plenty of folks wearing then at the Hardy, AR show.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:09 am
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

I know its hard to compete with a great established show with a float trip, hell I would prob do that one if I did not run this show :lol: We have the show and try to promote it the best we can and drawn in as many as we can. People show and that's great but it will prob never grow much more than it is now so we have the most fun as we can with it.

Chad and Kim and a few others had been camping for a few years before it was "organized". We got kicked out of the park and made to go to the camp grounds. We almost did not keep the group together so I did the reservations and got a big block of them. Mag case chunks and shavings in the fire, hot dogs and smores, lots of lies told and even more laughs, good times. The big hit last year were the smores dipped in irish cream. I also make up some awards and plaques for everyone. Last year we had Best Campsite, Worst Campsite, Most Drunk... "The Guy" award and Best Dressed In A Snappy Front Shirt award.

I will agree about the shirts, big hit. A friend of mine did the design. We worked on an idea, for many hours, I had been wanting to do and this year it fell in my lap as our regular shirt design and printer moved away. We had the design just about done and then he went to the can and 5 minutes later he comes back and says, "we are redoing it all!". This was probably 12 days before the show and we needed 156 shirts done. First shirt printer was a friend of a friend and he was not able to do the work so with less than a week I take the design to the place where i_am_cool_fred works and they got them to me 2 days before the show. I went out on a limb with the design and color of the shirts. No one in the club knew anything about them, except maybe 3, until the day of the show. Gonna be tuff to keep it at that level so we shall see.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:41 am
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

maybe i need to move this to the event section :lol:

here are pics from last year

http://cavf.org/events/2011_Bugtoberfest.htm

Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:45 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

by all means you can promote next years show on here, i don't think anyone will have a problem.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:12 am
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Prob keep some chatter here for now. What a dork I would be trying to promote a show 10 months away. :lol:

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:29 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Not a lot of show guys on here either. Most of us just go to shows to hangout w/ friends. Personally I could care less about winning awards, door prizes are cool though.

Indigibus isn't really a show at all. It's a halfass organized fall campout w/ a float trip.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:00 pm
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

I hear ya on the "show" part. I never have and never will have anything that is show worthy, just not my thing. But it is to some so that is why we have shows and then parties/camp/float/roadtrips. We put on the camp thing as a way to bring in the crowd that is there to have fun and enjoy company, not some plastic/wood/metal award that will gather dust. Hell for the past 3 years I have made the awards only to save money, more for the charity. It is a pain in the ass and takes way too long but I do it.

Again, car shows suck (my .02), hanging with friends is more important to me. But I have placed myself in a position over the years so the show is now my baby and I do what I can to make it fun. Big plans this year as always.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:02 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

custom / homemade trophies are the best. i love seeing how creative people can get. down side to that is you cant make 50 trophies for 1,2,3 place for every class. some people go to shows just to get trophies, kinda takes the fun out of it for me. ill enter my bucket in shows just so i can park and hangout near my bus in the show area. im surprised when i actually do get an award. its never first because i dont open all my doors and deck lid :? back to the creative trophies. i went to bulli brigade back in 1998 and won longest distance. the trophie for that award was a rusty bus gas pedal.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:01 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

widehatch wrote:
custom / homemade trophies are the best. i love seeing how creative people can get. down side to that is you cant make 50 trophies for 1,2,3 place for every class. some people go to shows just to get trophies, kinda takes the fun out of it for me. ill enter my bucket in shows just so i can park and hangout near my bus in the show area. im surprised when i actually do get an award. its never first because i dont open all my doors and deck lid :? back to the creative trophies. i went to bulli brigade back in 1998 and won longest distance. the trophie for that award was a rusty bus gas pedal.

= = =
same here ,,, sometimes i don' even bother to enter, i just hang out at the campground with all-the-usual-suspects, but the handMade trophies are TRULY the best ,,, esp. those exceptionally clever one's, like our royJ does :!: :!: :wink: :) :D :mrgreen: 8) :wink: :!:

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:23 am
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Funny thing, I was at a park with my VW and my VW friends drinkin some beers and we noticed it was car show, go figure.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:35 am
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Quick question, we will be working on our club calendar soon and want to know the weekend for your show and the Hardy show. Dave J

Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:57 am
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Always the first Saturday in October, looks like Saturday, October 6th 2012 for us. As for the Hardy show, um. Let me find out.

What about you guys?

Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:02 am
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

about the Hardy show...

Quote:
Jeffery Dutton

Slight change this year. Show is moving to Paragould to be part of their Oktoberfest celebration. 2nd Saturday in october. I am no longer an officer in club

Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:25 pm