View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:41 pm

New to the midwest 
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post New to the midwest
Oops, I didn't this thread before posting in the general area. Just moved to Hamilton, IL from San Francisco. Hope to meet some other VW folks and learn about any reputable shops in the STL or northern STL area.

Here are my rides, 69 Beetle and 73 Westy.

Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:52 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: New to the midwest
Welcome Dread.

We have a small but friendly VW crowd here in the midwest...glad you brought a couple nice specimens with you. It's fairly quiet this time of year for events but during the summer there are lots of local camping get togethers so your westy will sure come in handy. If you've never been to the Missouri or Arkansas Ozarks you're in for a real treat this summer.

As far as VW shops in the STL...there are only a couple and well....hopefully you have you're own tools and know how to use them. Otherwise there are plenty of helpful VW owners in town.

EDIT: Wow...I just checked Hamilton, IL and you are nowhere near St Louis. The MO, IA, IL corner is pretty dead on the MO side but there are a few in Iowa and near Chicago. I see alot of ad's on the samba in Quincy, IL. Over the labor day weekend every year there is a big campout in northern Missouri...BNNTA. http://www.bnnta.com/ see you there.

Roy

Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:19 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Welcome to the midwest. That 69 bug and 73westy looks realy nice hope to see at some events next year.

Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:51 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Very nice VWs. 8) We welcome you to the midwest. You should not have any issues making it to some far away shows in those. They look tip-top.
If you can make it to Kansas City in May, the Mo-Kan club is hosting our show then. It is one of the first car shows in the Mid-West to happen for VWs on the calendar.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:35 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Long distance trips are no problem. I love a nice long drive. Especially in the bus.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I wish there were more shops up in this area. I hate waiting for mail order parts. I'm used to driving down the street and getting whatever I needed. :(

I'm lucky enough to have found a house here with a separate 24 x 36 shop that fits three cars easy. The bus is down for a long winter's nap. I might pull the engine to do some cosmetic work soon. The Beetle is my daily driver and I'm currently building up a spare engine just in case :wink: . It doesn't even have a spec of rust and I hope to keep it that way. I completely soaked the underside with Fluid Film. This stuff is amazing. We'll see how she looks come spring.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:49 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

If you make it through the winter in harsh conditions driving your 69 Beetle, I will be sold on that Fluid Film. I have not heard of that product. I went to their site and it looks like some good stuff. This salt on the roads will do some damage to your undercarriage if not washed off when you get it home or as soon as you get an opportunity. The nasty weather has sat in for the year and it will be some time before the salt is completely off the roads. I guess you are monitoring the situation closely though.
We all are used to shipping in our parts from the California area. It will be a learning curve for ya, but you will be acclimated quickly on keeping enough spare parts on hand. Some auto parts chains such as Advance, O'reilly can get a lot of parts such as brake parts, shocks, valve cover gaskets, seals, bearings, etc. If you can stock up from these stores you can save yourself some money on shipping. They don't charge for shipping costs. So when you make your order from Wolfsburg West and places like that, just make sure you ordering in all your parts in one shot to cut down in multiple shipping charges.
I would never suggest Mid-America Motorworks to anyone due to their overpriced cheap parts.

You will find plenty to do this spring and summer.

Mo-Kan Show in KC
Mid-America Funfest
Springfield, Mo. Show
Omaha, NE. Show
Eureka Springs, Ar. Show
Tulsa, Ok. Show
BNNTA in Hannibal, Mo.

And all the other campouts that these guys come up with on a whim. Stay tuned on this site in the events section as these guys and gals can come up with some pretty exciting things to do.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:51 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

That 69 bug is sick! I'm jealous :).

K

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:45 am
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

travelvw wrote:
That 69 bug is sick! I'm jealous :).

K

Thanks. She's pulling duty as my winter driver. I can't believe how fun it is in the snow.

Unfortunately, the clear coat from the re-spray 8 years ago is flaking off. The poor car looks like it has a sunburn. Time for a paint job come spring.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:43 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Haven't heard from this dude in a while, but ran across his awesome thread on KCW.

Check it out. All the way to current. Dude has done an outstanding job.

http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/forums/ ... php?t=5850

SeYa. Ted.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:22 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Some nice work. Not into all those modern modifications though. Putting AC in a split bus seems like a waste of time.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:42 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Thanks guys. I still lurk here to check out Roy's wizardry and see what Andrew picks up each week. The bus is going to be my daily in Guam so I took a stab at an AC install. I love it. If riding in my bus with my kids and no one complaining about the heat is a waste of time, then I guess I'm guilty as charged.

Now I'm gonna find a way to stuff dual kads in there with that compressor in the way. Anyone wanna trade a 1 3/8" header for a nice set of heater boxes???? :D. I'm not gonna need heat out there and I need to open this little motor up a bit.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:41 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Thorbus wrote:
Haven't heard from this dude in a while, but ran across his awesome thread on KCW.

Check it out. All the way to current. Dude has done an outstanding job.

http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/forums/ ... php?t=5850

SeYa. Ted.

= = =
:o :shock: :!: :!: :!:
W - 0 - W !!! ,,,, just . F'n . Wow ! 8)
wish i had such MAD skills !! :mrgreen:
mazelTov, mike ... db
- - -

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:03 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Welcome to the Midwest!!! Will see you at the shows 8) Went to BNNTA labor day weekend last year for the first time...LOVED it! If you like camp'n in your bus and the great outdoors you have to go to this event. Hope to see ya there.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:52 am