View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:08 am

mint matchbook from long-gone TW's VW's salvage yard 
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post mint matchbook from long-gone TW's VW's salvage yard
If you are old enough to remember this place, then you might dig this classified ad I just put up over on theSamba.com

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1886254

I spent a LOT of time crawling around in that VW junkyard in So. County pulling old Bus and Oval Bug parts and accessories back in the late 70's and early 80's. Shitloads of my basement collection came out of Volkswagens from "TW's VW's". How many of you were ever there? When (what year) did it disappear, anyone know why it eventually closed, and I wonder whatever became of Tom?

Bill Bowman

Last edited by BulliBill on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post Re: mint matchbook from long-gone TW's VW's salvage yard
I spent a lot of time at TW's VW's you could spend hours there. I ran across Carl's VW's in High Ridge he became a good friend and he had a boatload of new and used parts. Then there was the Buggy Shop and out on Hwy 100 was Stoval (behind the bar) he was a good dude. Man I wish they were still around. Thinkin of that I remember when I was kid a body shop in Old Orchard in Webster Groves that would take two bugs one wrecked in the front the other in the rear cut them in half and weld them together.

Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:52 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

I had been to the Buggy Shop a bunch, but didn't know about Carls or the "half/half" shop.

I remember Ovals parked so close together side-by-side that folks would just walk across their roofs ( :twisted: gasp!) to get to the car they wanted into. God! I wish I had bought so much more than I did! Oval hoods and fenders, Split-Bus rows of seats, trim, etc., etc. Shit, there were plenty of Deluxe Sunroof Split-Buses in there. :shock: Oh my!!! I wish I had taken pictures!

Bill

Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Hey Bill.

Bet Raumburg needs one of these in his bus. He Originally got his bus from there in '88 if I remember correctly.

I remember going to TW's in the early 90's before they closed up.

Dumb kid looking for visors for my '71 Super Beetle. I can only imagine what I walked by then.

They were crushing cars as I was there.

A Few years back at Kents old shop, we had the door open and a construction worker type of dude came and spoke with us for a few.
He was either Tom or his son. We talked for a bit. Seemed like a super nice dude.

I don't think I took any pictures back then. Would been with my old 110 camera. :shock:

Cool Momento.

SeeYa. Ted.

Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:13 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

No shit! Rahmbergs Camper came from there? Awesome! Yeah, I'll have to hook him up (you too). I used to have a ball in there! He had a lot of the literature from the cars that were in the yard stored in the office. Stacks of old owners manuals, service coupon booklets, dealer location booklets, etc. Not sure if I ever saw a Split-window Beetle there, but oodles of Ovals, lots of Split-Bus Transporters, etc. Great memories there!

I wonder what is there now in place of the yard? It was probably a toxic mess with all those leaky VWs lying about!

Bill

Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:16 pm
Profile WWW