View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 am

garage hangs 
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post garage hangs
Hey gang! I am going to be wrenching on the photobus this friday night 5pm til ??, and saturday (time to be determined) at my garage in Labadie MO. If you want to help or just watch me lower a bus, or if you have experience with lowering stuff and can lend insight..feel free to shoot me a text to let me know you're coming, and ask for directions! 636-399-firing order.

The front will be drop spindles and the rear has "horse shoe brackets".

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:12 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: garage hangs
Never lowered anyhting before..

Looking forward to it, hope that I don't dig it too much.

SeeYa. Ted.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:31 pm
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Can't make it Tim. I'll be wrenching on my bus swapping out the axle shafts for some new ones. I have one torn boot and the rest are really cracked and dry rotted . I'm also going to flush the whole brake system and put on some new fluid. Not near as big a project as you are taking on but needed maintenance. Going to the Phases of the Moon concert festival next week in Danville Illinois and want to be in tip top shape for the cruise. Good luck with the lowering!

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:25 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Lowering a bus = dumb

Dana, that festival has a pretty good lineup. Don't miss JJ Grey if you can help it.

Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:02 am
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Dana wrote:
Can't make it Tim. I'll be wrenching on my bus swapping out the axle shafts for some new ones. I have one torn boot and the rest are really cracked and dry rotted . I'm also going to flush the whole brake system and put on some new fluid. Not near as big a project as you are taking on but needed maintenance. Going to the Phases of the Moon concert festival next week in Danville Illinois and want to be in tip top shape for the cruise. Good luck with the lowering!

I totally understand the maintenance thing Dana! I need to do some of that to Dharma in the near future, as we are taking her to Georgia for Amis' family reunion in October. Axles are easy, but do you have a power brake bleeder, or how exactly do you swap out all the brake fluid by yourself?

Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:53 am
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

[quote="Willeye"]Lowering a bus = dumb

Opinions are like..well you know... everybody has em. If this was my daily driver Ryan, I would never think of lowering it. However, since it's a buisness and all the other buses in the buisness are lowered, I need to follow suit. It helps us gain access to more venues by being able to fit in the doors. Plus, our clientele usually think it looks good.

Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:58 am
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Tim,

I have pressed the brother into being my pedal man. It has a procedure in the bently. Just open up one bleeder at a time and pump them all dry, close them out and then work them back up like if you you are bleeding them, of course you will need a generous portion of new brake fluid. I bought 2 new big bottles and I have a half of an old one. I hope that will be enough (it should be). Bently says you should change all the fluid every 2 years. Of course that would probably be under normal driving conditions. I have never given this a flush since I got her on the road in 02. Pedal is a little spongy at times

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:33 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Follow the Bentley manual procedure, but do not pump them "dry". Get a small turkey baster or other suction device, suck out all the old brake fluid in the reservoir. Then fill with brand new, quality brake fluid. I personally prefer Valvoline DOT 3 & 4 synthetic brake fluid in a 32 ounce bottle. Ted and I just did this on a completely new, completely dry brake system and we used less than one 32 oz bottle. Use a small funnel (see the photos in my '59 DC build thread) so you don't spill any on your painted floors. Brake fluid + paint = bad! Then follow the Bentley procedure exactly with someone pumping the brake pedal and someone under the Bus operating the bleeder valve as per procedure. (IIRC) for a single circuit pre-1967 system you'll start with the right rear, then left rear, then right front and then left front system. You've got a Bay-era dual-circuit system, so the order will be different (see the Bay-Bus manual). DO NOT EVER let the reservoir run dry and suck air into the M/C (check the fluid level in the reservoir often) or you'll have to start all over again. If you use a clear hose into a clear glass bottle you'll see the dirtier old fluid suddenly change to clear new fluid in the hose, and keep pumping as in the published procedure until you see absolutely no more bubbles... etc., etc, blah, blah, blah...

Bill

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

i just use the one-man brake bleeder you get at AutoZone for $7, then pump each corner until fresh clear fluid comes out.
Easy.

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

PS - pretty sure you should do this every 2 years no matter how much you drive. hydraulic fluid is hygroscopic and will sap moisture right out of the air through the seals in the system.
the fluid in the splitty and Syncro both get pretty brown, even though I only put a couple thousand miles on them per year.

I do the same with oil as well... Engine oil at least 1x per year no matter the mileage, and trans oil every 2 years no matter the miles.

For a water-cooled Vanagon with OG engine do a complete flush and re-fil every 2 years on the coolant.. with my Subie I now just read it with one of those floater bulbs and add conditioner. Since you know, a Subaru engine isn't dissolved by anti-freeze like a wasserboxer is

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Thanks for the tip Bill. Guess I better get a cheap baster as I'm sure Susan will not want me using her's :shock:

Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:42 pm
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Another tip I use on brake fluid bottles is to keep the silver foil on the top of the bottle and poke a large hole on one side and a small breather hole in the other. Lets you pour a smaller controlled stream of fluid so less spillage or over fills.

Just my 2 cents 8)

Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:55 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

:roll:
WTF is this "coolant" fluid, already ~!?!?!?!?!
:lol:
Mine gets changed several times / minute :lol:

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:41 pm
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Well Ted showed up about 6 Friday Eve. I already had almost everything on the front end loose and ready to tear apart. I would like to say it went easy, but it didn't. The new flip spindles had to be ground a little because they rubbed on the brake disc. It was a less than ideal fit, but we finally got it ground down and everything put back together. Then the wheels wouldn't spin because the lower control arm threads were hitting the wheel weights on the back of the rims. I took those off and now the wheels spin, but I still need to grind a little more of the new part and some of the lower control arm bits.. Not very happy about the fit of this shit to be quite honest.
I hope I never have to lower anything again. I'm more of a lift kit guy.

Thanks again for the help Ted!! @Thorbus.

Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:23 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

:cry:
yet 1 more reason for me to not ever lower any bus !
Thanks !!!!
:mrgreen:

Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:39 pm