View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:40 pm

upcoming 2013 MAM "Funfest" VW weekend at Effingham, IL 
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post upcoming 2013 MAM "Funfest" VW weekend at Effingham, IL
Here it comes again! May 31st thru June 2nd, 2013. The largest gathering of VWs in the Midwest region. So who is planning to be there and in what VW?

I am trying to clear the weekend off in my AA flight schedule, I already have Saturday off, now I'm trying to get clear on Thursday and Friday too. I hope to caravan slowly over on a scenic route on Friday afternoon. My buddy Bob Van Heyst from BBT over in Belgium ( http://www.bbt4vws.com ) is coming over again. He and his wife Linda came last year, and I gave them my original paint '55 Deluxe Sunroof Beetle to enjoy for the weekend, and I drove and camped in my '67 Westy. Some of you may have met him then. Assuming I can clear the dates, I'll offer him one of my "bitches" to enjoy again.

A few weeks after "Funfest" I'm flying over to Belgium (with Brian Holcomb, his son Carson and Tom Janiszewski) in mid-June to hang out with Bob at BBT and attend the huge upcoming Hessisch-Oldendorf Vintage VW meet in June and the European Bug-In event the following weekend. He always puts me in one of his cool old cars, and this time I'm honored to be hauling "the boys" around Europe in a 1958 original paint 23-window Deluxe Microbus featuring the double-door option with mega-rare double-flipper center bench, and the walk-thru passageway too!!! We're gonna need sun screen, and it's gonna be awesome!

So who is planning to attend the "Funfest", and who will be camping on-site with us that weekend?

Bill Bowman

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:41 am
Profile WWW
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post Re: upcoming 2013 MAM "Funfest" VW weekend at Effingham, IL
Hell yeah!

I'll be going, in Clifford the '69 Westy. (With new CSP front disc brakes!)
Hoping to cruise up Friday with "The Car-a-Bus" as in years past
Thorbus says he's in for the Fri. cruise from StL.

Will also be camping Sat. evening.

Gotta head out real early Sun. am to be back in St. Louis for Vik's son Kevin's high school graduation at 1:00!

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:41 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Our plan is to run the 200 miles up 57 Thursday night. Will be towing the 66 baja with matching GMC coach. Should be there til early Sunday morning. Still got to send in my registration.
Dan

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:43 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

got Friday off and hopefully we'll have a good cruise together.

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Registered. See yall there.
Dan

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:13 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

We will be rolling in saturday morning. See you there.

Fri May 03, 2013 8:12 pm
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

bill -

I should be there that weekend...will be bringing my vanagon.

Steven

Tue May 07, 2013 9:11 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Was going don't know if motor is finished by then. Al Shelton is rebuilding my miss-fortune I purchased from Indy , rod bearing was dissolved and have to rebuild but it is in great hands!

Wed May 08, 2013 4:27 am
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Ami and I both got Friday off and are looking forward to our first "carabus" with y'all up there! :D

Fri May 10, 2013 12:18 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Only 3 weeks til we party down at the largest gathering in the midwest. See yall there.
Dan

Sat May 11, 2013 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Planning on Friday off also. Just where is the Car-a-bus meeting at and what time is it departing?

Wed May 15, 2013 5:13 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

We should still make it but waiting on new axles now.

Wed May 15, 2013 5:27 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

My 9 yr old grandson and I are cutting a trail about 5 pm Thurs. Should put us there before dark. Wow, less than a week away. We hope to see lots of yall there. My cook is not coming so don't look for me to feed ya at my motorhome this year. PBJ and hotdogs might be the best we have. :lol: Anxious to see you all there. We will be in the black and silver coach towing the matching baja.
Dan

Sat May 25, 2013 6:09 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Hi all,

Just five days to go! Woooo Hooooo! I've been out-of-town flying for AA and may have missed any CaraBus planning sessions. Is there a plan formed for a caravan to Effingham on Friday yet? If not, someone out to decide on a location and departure time for Friday. I'm not certain when the first activities are planned at Funfest for Friday afternoon.

I'm off and available to depart at any time. I'll probably be driving my '67 Westfalia Campmobile. I'd prefer the slower, more casual "backroad" scenic route that we've done before, perhaps stopping at that diner in Greenville for chow and fresh pie. It takes about four hours or so instead of just over two hours non-stop on the Interstate.

My buddy Bob Van Heyst who owns "BBT" ( www.bbt4vws.com ) near Brussels, Belgium will be there again this year, and I'm looking forward to seeing him. I'll be flying over to Brussels in mid-June to visit him and BBT, and joining them to attend the worlds best Vintage VW event, the Hessisch-Oldendorf VW Meet held ever fourth year. Bob is putting me in the driver seat of his 1958 "original paint" 23 window Deluxe Microbus (featuring double-doors on both sides, a double-flipper middle seat, and walk-thru passage!) to drive several USA buddies in a caravan to and from the show in Germany. Then we'll continue in the Deluxe to tour the country-side and do the VW factory and museum tours at Wolfsburg and Hannover, then visit the spectacular "Prototype Museum" in Hamburg, and then drive through the World War II "Battle of the Bulge" region of Belgium before heading for the French border the next weekend to attend the "European Bug-In". Bob is an awesome friend and host, and I'm sure many tasty adult beverages will be consumed during the two week visit to Europe by our American contingent...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this coming weekend and the Funfest festivities. Let's get this show on the road...

Bill Bowman

Sun May 26, 2013 9:04 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

When i get home wed. afternoon I have to start putting new axles on the car and get it ready to go. We will leaving early sat. am so we will drop the truck and trailer at the hotel and drap the cooler and shoot to the show. See you all there.

Mon May 27, 2013 11:18 am