View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:00 am

starter head scratcher 
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post starter head scratcher
Last week I went to take off in the '63 bug and hit the starter and nothing happened, I had ignition lights. :cry: This happened once before and I replaced the positive cable cause it looked questionable since it looked like the original one from '63, the starter is a rebuilt unit I installed last year. I have had a bad ignition switch before so I popped the hood and hot wired the switch with no results. I was about to crawl under it which sucked as I was not in a good location (on a very steep hill) I had already rolled it back and popped the clutch turning over the engine but was running out of room. After blocking all 4 wheels with rocks I had found in the area I had a hammer and was going to tap on the starter. I removed the rear seat and looked at the cables. I had previously cleaned the battery connections and shined the body ground connection when it happened before when I replaced the positive cable the battery is 2 years old. So I thought try the key again because it was going to be bad crawling under it at the present location. I hit the key it fired up and has been fine starting since. Any ideas :?:

Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:23 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: starter head scratcher
Could be a hot start issue but it sounds like your car was cold prior to the issue. Could also still be the starter even though it's rebuilt.

Most anytime I have a VW that isn't starting. I set the parking brake, put in neutral, turn key on, grab an old screw driver and roll under the rear passenger side. Can always try the old jumping the starter trick. If that works, the starter is usually good and it's a connection issue or the ignition switch. Sometimes you even find that the ignition wire has just came loose from the starter.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:30 am
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

thanks willeye I will keep that one.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:10 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

I think this is related to my other post. You guys are probably getting a smile out of this. :oops:

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:59 pm