View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:03 am

1971 vw squareback Help me lower it! 
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post 1971 vw squareback Help me lower it!
Hey all,
I am looking for someone to help me/ give me pointers on lowering my 71 squareback. This is the first time that I have wanted to attempt this, so I am a little hesitant that I may screw something up.

Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:18 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post Re: 1971 vw squareback Help me lower it!
Type 3's are the easiest to lower, The front is splined, and so is the back. You will want to run smaller tires on the front, I've always ran 135-15, or 145-15 tires. Coker tire has the 560 series tires, and I run them. 165-15 will work on the back. You will need shorter shocks for the front, but usually you can keep the stock shocks on the rear unless you go really low. One spline on the outside in the rear should be enough if you plan on driving it. You might be able to go two splines on the front and get away with it. You should check over on the SAMBA for info on lowering the Type 3. You will need to have the front end aligned, but the back should not need to be aligned. Where are you located? Hope this helps. Dean

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:37 pm
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Dean wrote:
Type 3's are the easiest to lower, The front is splined, and so is the back. You will want to run smaller tires on the front, I've always ran 135-15, or 145-15 tires. Coker tire has the 560 series tires, and I run them. 165-15 will work on the back. You will need shorter shocks for the front, but usually you can keep the stock shocks on the rear unless you go really low. One spline on the outside in the rear should be enough if you plan on driving it. You might be able to go two splines on the front and get away with it. You should check over on the SAMBA for info on lowering the Type 3. You will need to have the front end aligned, but the back should not need to be aligned. Where are you located? Hope this helps. Dean

I plan on running a 135/15. I am currently located in the south county area of St. Louis

Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:50 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Ok, I'm to far away to offer any hands on help. The 135-15 in the front will work out well. Stick to 165-15 for the rear. Stock steel 4.5" wheels will work best on the front also. Aftermarket 5.5" wheels might create a clearance problem on the front.

Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:22 pm