View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:41 pm

chattering clutch 
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post chattering clutch
I have had problems with clutch chatter especially in reverse for as long as the 1600 has been in my '63 bug. Last winter I pulled the engine for a top end and put new motormounts in it. I cleaned up the flywheel the clutch plate still looked new (2nd clutch). So I have deceided to try to space the clutch cable housing. What do you guys do for spacers between the mount and tube? Where do you start? Like just a few washers or a piece of 1/8inch steel or thicker :?:

Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:18 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post Re: chattering clutchhttp://www.vw-resource.com/bowden_tube.
I use washers, and cut them like a "U". They slip right on that way and won't fall out.
http://www.vw-resource.com/bowden_tube.html Check this link out. Also if you google Bowden tube some you tube videos will show up, along with some other really good info.

Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:32 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post Re: chattering clutch
thank you sir. I watched all the videos you mentioned and I now feel I understand the whole process. 8)

Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:44 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Great! Glad to help.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:08 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Hoky Smokes Bullwinkle. I climbed under the car and measured the drop in the Bowden tube. According to the Haynes manual the drop should be 1 to 1 3/4 inch. It measures about 1 1/2inch or less. I can see why you would cut washers to slip in as pulling on the tube is like trying to compress a valve spring. It seems to pull away from the car body somewhat but pulling the tube out of the mount well lets say I used every cuss word I knew but not much luck. The best I could do was put a pair of channel locks on the end of the tube and on the cable mount and move it a little then I ran outta time today. Yes I disconnected the clutch cable at the clutch arm. :roll: I can only guess when we put in the trans 17 yrs ago that we put the tube in before pushing the trans in place. So if I do cut some washers how many? The tube is sticking out about 3/8 inch past the cable mount. So add washer to a 1/4inch space??? I'm looking for suggestions. :?:

Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:06 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

I'd start with one, then add from there. Every car and clutch setup will be different. You want to put them on the end that is sticking in the tranny, not the end that goes to the body, but you knew that already, right?

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:21 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Test Results Are In. I've put around 60 miles on the car. I put a 3/16" thick (a guess) washer on the tube. A couple of tricks I figured out. Take the plastic heater tube off you need the room. You will need a washer with a 1/2" hole in it. Cut the washer so the slot is 1/2inch wide all the way. Turn the clutch tube so the bend is away from you. This makes it easier to pull it out of the transmission mount. (I' m not saying it's easy) Take a wide tip screwdriver under the car with you. Put it in your mouth like a pirate with his knife. Pull the tube back like above and stick the screwdriver in there. There is not room for the 3 hands you'll wish you had. No I don't put everything in my mouth :lol: but it helped with the washer in my lips keeping it close by so I could pry the end of the tube back while pulling on the tube with your other hand then slip the washer in.
On your road test the first thing you will notice is the friction point while operating the clutch is moved. I think 1st gear is great but reverse (I tested on a steep hill) still chatters but I guess not as much. Next time I check the valve adjustment I will try a thicker washer. Thanks for the help I now know what the problem was. 8)

Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:27 pm