View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:45 pm

pulled the rockers arms off to torque the head, can't adjust 
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post pulled the rockers arms off to torque the head, can't adjust
ok pulled the left side rockers off and torqued the :twisted: 4 head bolts to 23ft lbs. Now I put rockers back on and I have no room for .006 for valve adjustment. I should tell you I have solid shaft rockers and swivel adjusters. I've had the rocker arms off probably 7 times making sure the swivel adjusters have the flat side showing. I have done this routine before but this time I can't get any slack in the no. 3 cylinder rockers. No. 4 seems to have plenty of slack. I held the pushrods up and they don't appear bent but have not tried it on a piece of glass. The car was running fine I was just going to change the oil and adjust the valves when a friend said "you ought to check the head bolts. Had to walk away from it I was so wound up. :evil:

Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:48 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post Re: pulled the rockers arms off to torque the head, can't ad
Make sure the pushrods are seated in the lifters.

Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:49 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

also you're only re-torqing 1/2 the bolts. I wouldn't bother unless dropping the motor and doing them all.

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:02 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

With swivel feet adjusters you normally have to run a .030" or .060" shim under the rocker arms and/or grind the back of the rocker arm a little where the swivel is hitting. Take care in doing this as you are playing with the geometry when you change to swivel feet and add shims. ie...measure your valve spring height at rest and at total lift...roll the engine until you have 1/2 of your total lift that you measured...it is at this point your adjusting screw and valve should be parallel. If not you are causing premature wear and stress on your valve guides and valve train in general. Incorrect geometry is 90% of the issue with "noisy" engines.

Pictures:
Arrow points to the shims normally in a solid shaft "kit".
Grind off the area below the red line until its flush with the back of the "arm".

Attachments:
1684-2.jpg
1684-2.jpg [ 35.97 KiB | Viewed 1658 times ]
1692-2.jpg
1692-2.jpg [ 51.92 KiB | Viewed 1658 times ]
Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:52 am
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

thanks tomorrow is the day. I wonder if I lost a shim. I will go with the no.s you said I feel more confident now. :P

Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:25 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

this is the 1st day it wasn't freezing laying on the ground. I pulled the rocker arm assembly off again (actually twice I think that makes 9 times) miked the shims they actually measured .060 and .020. Then a friend who has a shop (not VW's) said I should straightedge all the valves. Now I'm really confused. Valves Intake #3, intake and Exhaust no. 4 all are the same height but No. 3 exhaust seems to be shorter :?: No. 3 INTAKE is the one I can't get .006 out of. I looked down all 4 pushrod tubes and all seem to look the same. I checked no. 3 intake pushrod and I'm pretty sure it's straight. Then I put it together again same sh*t different day. :evil: Then I pulled it down again inspected all parts and all seem ok. Sat down and read service manuals again. (I seem to be doing it right) and decided that tomorrow I'm going to grind some more off the rocker arm behind the swivel adjuster. Oh and I called Motorcars again and got no answer again like last time. :?: Thanks for the tips.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:37 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

The strait edge on your valves is an indicator of a properly rebuilt head but a small variance ~.050" or so is normal from an economical head job. If you get one that's out a lot further than the others .125"+ it may be an indicator you have a sinking valve seat...not good.

Shims are .060" and .020"? I hope you mean that these two shims are stacked under "each" mounting base and not a .060" on one and .020" on the other?

Oh, and don't forget to check the geometry making sure the adjusting screw and valve stem are perfectly alligned at half lift. You may need .100" of shims or possibly shorter push rods.

Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:21 am
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

the neighbor drag races (not VW's) and told me I was trying to solve the symptoms not the problem. Decieded to bite the bullet and started pulling the engine out. Finally got a answer at MotorCars this was the 3rd week I called. They are still in business. When I get the engine out I will take it to them. Don't know about Archway as the girl down the street had her new engine in her bus lock up last year. So I might be open to other shops. Anyway down to the last 3 bolts and wondered I haven't done this since I put the engine in 16years ago. Do I need to disconnect the clutch cable? Probably will try to drop it out tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys it helps if you just know someone else is listening. (that knows VW's)

Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:20 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

i don't ever Disconnect the clutch cable on just an engine pull ,,, although, if u do end up Replacing
clutch / pressure plate at this same time, then back the clutch cable adjustment off, a bit looser, so
that when u re-install the engine, it's much easier to readjust the clutch ;-)

Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:18 am
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

thanks for the info. My neighbors stopped by to help me pull the engine (after I called them) and one said "are you going to replace the throwout bearing?" Seemed like a good thought, the clutch has 20k miles on it, rather than roll the dice, I loosened the cable and will get a new one.

Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:31 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

got the heads off today. Looks like measuring something sideways under the car is not the best. #3 exhaust #4 intake and exhaust all three are the same height. No 3 intake possible valve guide came loose as the valve is sitting down in the head. I will be dropping them off at Archway for rebuild or swap. It looks like doing regular maintance 8 (valve adjustment) at the oil change payed off as the next thing would of been the valve coming apart and hitting the piston. :cry:

Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:36 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

what did you do on News Years Day.
Image[/URL]
New cylinders, pistons, rings. Rebuilt and decked single port heads. Redoing the rockerarm assembly. Replace pushrod tubes and pushrods. Replaced transmission mounts. New throwout bearing, Replace Glandnut and mainseal (tomorrow) put the tin back on and back in the car. 8)

Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:45 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

another view.
Image[/URL]
wahoo!

Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:49 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Jan 2nd. Engine in but no heater boxes, muffler and not all wiring, we did fire the motor though for a few seconds.

Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:57 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Jan 3rd got it down off the jackstands all buttoned up and took it out for a test drive it ran good. It won't idle worth a damn no matter how we adjust it. Checked the intake bolts all wiring and pulled the jets on the carb but nothing helped.

Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:06 pm