View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:34 pm

pulled the rockers arms off to torque the head, can't adjust 
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post Re: pulled the rockers arms off to torque the head, can't ad
forgot to say we decieded it's bad gas since the gas has been in there for 3 months or more and the see thru gas filter looks like brown gas. I did go back out to the shop and DOH! the left valve cover is leaking. :evil: This has been a problem with the hi lift cam and swivel adjusters forever. Had put alloy valve covers on it and the problem was solved but We had to put more shims under the rocker pedistals we think because they decked the heads. Chief mechanic thinks that maybe he didn't seat the valve cover correctly or may have put the bale on upside down. I'm not convinced. I'm suprised that when you get swivel adjusters that they arn't shorter cause we decided long ago that it's the oppisite end of the swivels that were hitting the valve covers.I wonder if I can cut them down? :roll:

Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:16 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

well it made it to 23degrees so I went out into the shop cause it's buggin the hell out of me.
As you can see when you first walk out as I did yesterday it is pretty much a BUMMER :cry:
But after climbing under it I noticed this besides the oil dripping off the cover
I think I see the problem. I'm still going to make sure the adjusters aren't hitting. But I must admit as you can see the bale on this side was put on wrong and it doesn't line up with the area it's supposed to be lined up with. :oops:

Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:54 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

also, on the poor idling, u might want to ck. that elec. solenoid cut-off valve, make sure it
clicks "open" when u put 12v to it ,,, they will not idle for sh!t, if that thing is stuck "closed"
:cry:

Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:11 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Thanks for the tip. :idea: I will look at that too. I have the stuff to drain the gas but I like to have froze this morning shoveling snow in 9 degree weather.

Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:29 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

IT'S ALIVE IT'S ALIVE. :lol: Drained the tank by hooking a piece of clear tubing over the fuel line after removing it at the fuel pump (from tank) and starting a siphon. Put new gas in it. Right away it idled. The mechanic kept messing with the carb. but it would idle but drop off after awhile as always. It's always done that since I got the new carb maybe 12 +years ago. It's a 30/31pict. Got it new in the box. I always figured it was the combination 009 distributer and High Lift cam. So he decided the float was too high. I removed the top of the carb and we found the float at the top and was never adjusted. It idles now, unbelieveable. You can start it cold and it fast idles without your foot on the gas and stays idleing at stop lights without blippin the throttle. Oh and yes David the first thing we checked when we started today was the idle solanoid, it was ok, and thanks for the idea. 8)

Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:47 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

oh and after I noticed I was standing in oil, :roll: I remembered to turn the bail over on the left valve cover and stopped the oil leak.

Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:54 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

8)
MazelTov !! glad u got that all solved !!
:mrgreen:

Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:04 pm