View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:45 pm

Door hinge pin 
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post Door hinge pin
My beetle has never had a right side mirror. So I would like to install a hinge mounted mirror. How do I get the old hinge pin out without damaging the paint on the door? I have tried to beat on it from the top and bottom, I really don't know what direction it should come out. I even tried to drill into the top and found it's very hard. So, now I just have some penetrating oil on top to see if that will help. What do you think?

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:23 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: Door hinge pin
probably will need a tool ( c-clamp-type-thing ) to press it out, from the bottom ,,, paint is likely gonna suffer :oops:

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:18 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

David is right. There is a special tool to remove it.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:56 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

If I remember correctly, it should be driven (much better yet "pressed") from the bottom and out the top. There is a cool factory press tool that dealerships and some shops could buy to remove it with little damage to the paint. I think it worked on either type 1's or 2's. I don't know of anyone in the area who owns one. I think that for a while someone on theSamba.com had one (or made one) and was renting it in the classified section, not sure if they still are?

Bill

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

What year is your car? If it's the one in your avatar they didn't have hinge pin mounted mirrors. The passenger door had a bung in it just like the drivers side. You would have to add that, and it would be welded in, and that would require bodywork and paint. If you have an earlier car, then as said before you have to drive it out, or press it out. I've done it 2 different ways. One is with a big hammer and a punch. VERY DANGEROUS!!!! I've done it that way on painted cars without any damage, but I was young and dumb, and wouldn't do it again. The 2nd way was with an air chisel. I had an attachment that was a long punch, and it worked great. I would protect the paint either way you do it. Heavy cardboard would work for any method except for the hammer and punch way. I would use plywood and a whole lot of luck to do it that way. If you have a 68 and newer car and don't care if the mirrors match, the I guess do the pin.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:26 pm
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

A friend of mine got it out with an air chisel that had a punch attachment. So I purchased a hinge mirror and installed it. I did damage some paint and am very unhappy that the mirror does not work. Even with the drivers seat all the way back I can only see a small amount of the mirror. It also looks stupid since it's different from the drivers side. I had it on for a couple of hours and removed it. Now I am told the only way to do this is modify the door so it can have a 68 style mirror or use aftermarket mirrors. I wanted to keep the car original but modifying the door would require repainting. Looks like I will get the aftermarket style and screw them to the door. I am not a happy camper that there was not a better solution to the problem.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:05 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

I have had a '70 bug for five years with only the drivers side mirror and have had no problems driving that way. After a while I just got used to it.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:54 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Glad you got the pin out, sorry everything else didn't work out so well. In case anyone is interested, here is a link to a Samba classified ad for a newer built hinge pin tool.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1493477

the price = "ouch"!!! But I still wish I owned one. One of my VW hobby "fetishes" is that I have a huge collection of VW dealership "special service tools", many of them NOS, but I sure don't have that one!

Bill Bowman

Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

BulliBill wrote:
Glad you got the pin out, sorry everything else didn't work out so well. In case anyone is interested, here is a link to a Samba classified ad for a newer built hinge pin tool.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1493477

the price = "ouch"!!! But I still wish I owned one. One of my VW hobby "fetishes" is that I have a huge collection of VW dealership "special service tools", many of them NOS, but I sure don't have that one!

Bill Bowman

I don't like the way that thing works at all. I can see it damaging the paint, and it doesn't remove the pin, he still had to beat it with a hammer. I bet that pin has been out before, try it on a car that's never had the pin out.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:56 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

rod30 wrote:
A friend of mine got it out with an air chisel that had a punch attachment. So I purchased a hinge mirror and installed it. I did damage some paint and am very unhappy that the mirror does not work. Even with the drivers seat all the way back I can only see a small amount of the mirror. It also looks stupid since it's different from the drivers side. I had it on for a couple of hours and removed it. Now I am told the only way to do this is modify the door so it can have a 68 style mirror or use aftermarket mirrors. I wanted to keep the car original but modifying the door would require repainting. Looks like I will get the aftermarket style and screw them to the door. I am not a happy camper that there was not a better solution to the problem.

I guess you didn't read my post? I said everything you just said.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:58 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Dean,

I'm not sure whose comments you are replying to. If I understand the comments in this thread so far, the original poster "rod30" did NOT use the special service tool that I sent a theSamba.com link about to remove his hinge pin on his Beetle. I'm still not clear on what year Beetle and type of hinge this was for. I believe that he had a friend drive it out with a air "hammer" tool, and suffered a little paint damage. Were your negative comments about the tool that I was suggesting based on any personal experience with that special service tool, or just guesswork on you part? I've seen and handled (but not used) one of those tools myself. While I can't be absolutely positive, I believe that if the special service tool had been bought or rented for a hinge pin removal job, and it was used on the right type of hinge, the pin would probably have been pressed out with very minimal or no damage to the surrounding paint, that is the tools purpose in life. It is a very well-thought out tool, and it was designed and tested by the Volkswagen engineers for repeated use at the VW dealership and shop level.

"rod30" is clearly not happy with his mirror choices and their function, but I don't think that the tool I recommended (which again, wasn't used in this case) was the cause of his frustration. If I'm reading or understanding this all wrong, my apologies for this reply.

I hope that "rod30" eventually finds an acceptable solution for his desire to have a passenger side exterior view mirror!

Carry on everyone!

Bill Bowman

Last edited by BulliBill on Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:36 am
Profile WWW
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

I just want to thank you all again for your continued assistance on this site. As I said, I did get the hinge pin out using the air hammer as someone suggested. I don't think I would have thought of that. It could have been done with no paint damage if we had been more careful. The hammer kinda got away from us and now I will mix up some paint and touch it up. I still have the original paint from when I painted the car. No big deal.
What is a big deal to me is that it seems as if I can not have a second side mirror that looks like the original on the drivers side. I very much want to keep the car as original as possible. Over the years I have relied on a right side mirror so much that I don't feel comfortable driving without one. I will add one, but I am sure it will not have the look I was hoping for.
I have had this car for over two years now and you all have been very helpful........we all thank you.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:58 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Adding the right side mirror isn't that big of a deal, but does require bodywork and paint. The fact that you have paint left over from the repaint is a big help. You have 2 ways of doing this, (1) replace the door with one that has the threaded mirror bung, or (2) weld the threaded mirror bung into the door you have. #2 is the best bet in my opinion.
Ok here's another option I just found. http://www.mamotorworkstv.com/vw/produc ... nt_306088/
(3) If I'm looking at this right all you have to do is drill a hole in your door, remove the door panel and hold this up behind the hole, and screw the mirror into it. Call them and make sure that's how it works. They have both the right and left mirrors too. If it works the way I think it works that would be a very simple way to solve your problem. No bodywork, or paint work as long as you don't slip with the drill. :roll: Let us know how it turns out. Dean

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:02 pm
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Can you take a picture of the threaded spot on the door for the mirror ? I do not know what you guys are talking about. But I have a tool that if you drill a hole in sheet metal it puts a threaded insert in the hole . It kind of like a rivet tool but with threaded inserts. Post a pic. I'll see if it's what I'm talking about.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:03 pm
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

WOW......it looks as if Dean has found the solution. I went to the web site and it does look like the answer to keeping the car with an original look. Yesterday I ordered a after market mirror because I gave up. I will find a place for it on a shelf in my garage. Today I will call Mid American Motor Works and chat with them, but it sure looks like the answer I was hoping for.

You guys are a big help.

I ordered the parts from Mid America Motor Works and will let you know how the install goes next week.................

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:49 am