View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:38 pm

Thermostat adjustment 
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: Thermostat adjustment
Willeye wrote:
Sorry can't help ya Brian. As like DB, I've never ran them in any of my VWs in the 15yrs I've been driving them. The system is always missing pieces and I was never keen on relying on that little accordian thermostat. Would hate to be driving on a hot day with my shroud flaps closed.

failure mode is open, so no worries here.

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Hmm, good to know. Might start working on pieceing together a set of the thermo stuff, for at least the bug maybe the bus too. For next time I have engine out.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:13 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

:shock:
failure mode is 'open' .... how so ??!!?
that li'l accordian bellows is at its 'short' height at cold temps, & it has to expand to full height in hot air, so if it fails, it fails 'closed' ~ ?????~?
if the flaps fail closed, then the engine will NOT get air ,, how exactly is that "fail safe" , again ?!??!
:roll:

Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:12 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Right, and there's a vaccuum or something in it. If the thermostat is broken, punctured, etc it opens up. Even a water pumpers tstat is designed to fail open.

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

?!?!?!
what if it's just fuggr'd up, & never increases its height , no matter How hot it gets ?!?! :shock:
then , the t/s rod don't go up, the flaps don't open, & the motor gets hot ,,, :oops:
:roll:
&, i've seen water-cooled t'stats 'fail-closed', as well ,,,, that's why the radiator boils over ,,,
but, u go Right ahead & take u'r chances , son ,,,
i wire them flaps wide-ass-Open ,,, :mrgreen:

Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:15 am
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

The bellows thermostats are filled with a certain kind of liquid alcohol. At ambient temperature this alcohol is a liquid, but when the engine heats it up, the alcohol vaporizes and pushes the whole bellows open, which is their natural position before they are filled. They are filled with that liquid alcohol while the thermostat is compressed so then when it gasifies it will expand. If one develops a crack, the alcohol will escape and the thermostat will expand to its unfilled position. Hence failing open. You can actually repair them yourself with some denatured alcohol and solder, which I have done many times. I fix them and then sell them on thesamba.com for around $40.

Brian, you flaps do not need to be fully closed at cold, after all, some air must get by to even operate the thermostat. On my bus engine it is common practice to leave a little slack in the cable, otherwise it could crack the solder on the thermostat.

P.S. It should be noted that the MEXICAN replacement part, which involves wax and a spring and looks totally different, CAN fail in the closed position. So never use one.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:39 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

I ended up pulling my engine in the bus this week for some other repairs and decided to add flaps and thermostat. I found I have 4 sets of flaps, most of them early non doghouse type. Did have one dog house set to use on this engine. Went by Roy Rogers and found a push rod and a good thermostat. So I should have working thermo stuff on the bus by the end of the week.

I'll need to find another pushrod and a thermo for the bug and it will get it too when I pull it's engine next.

Interesting about refilling and repairing them, good stuff. Since no one is reproducing them.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:15 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Not sure if it will fit but maybe contact this guy, http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1062980
My 2 cents is there is a spring that is attached to the flaps who's job it is to keep the flaps open if the thermostat fails. But yours again maybe different.

1986 Cabriolet

Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:22 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

:shock:
$119 + shipping !??!!? :cry:
holy alcohol, batman !!?!? :roll:

Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:31 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

nutz

Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:57 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

So both of my air cooled rides have working flaps and thermostats now. I was starting to see milky crud in the oil on the bug, stopped driving it had some other things to do so while engine was out took care of the thermo stuff.

Have put a few hundred miles on the bus since adding it and I can tell a difference in how it warms up and seems to run a little cooler. Of course I don't have a fancy lazer thermo gauge to verify any of that. Just my feel of driving it.

I am wondering how long I'm going to keep glancing under the bus at the thermo to check it's status.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:48 pm
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Questions. Ok I know mine is adjusted wrong. When it opens it touches the fan. How on a 36 is it adjusted correctly? My Bentley manual makes no sense to me on how to. Second if it fails when adjusted correctly will it still hit the fan?

Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:23 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

I run a thermostat system in all of my VWs except the 1776 motor in my Ghia, and I have everything to eventually install a thermostat system in that one too. Those German engineers weren't stupid.

Bill

Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:47 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

JRB572 wrote:
Questions. Ok I know mine is adjusted wrong. When it opens it touches the fan. How on a 36 is it adjusted correctly? My Bentley manual makes no sense to me on how to. Second if it fails when adjusted correctly will it still hit the fan?

Touches the fan? The flaps or thermostat aren't anywhere near the fan, or at least aren't close enough that they could touch.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:16 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

36 hp fans have an inlet cone, in front of the fan, that is moved by the thermostat rod, not any flaps in the shroud.
Other than the fact that this inlet cone moves in & out of the suction of the fan, i dunno how they are adjusted .
:oops:

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:49 pm