View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:08 pm

Thermostat adjustment 
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post Re: Thermostat adjustment
Not trying to p*as any one off but I haven't had a thermostat in my 1600 single port in the 16yrs its been in my '63 bug. Just rebuilt the top end. Finished it 2 weeks ago and the thermostat linkage is still pop rivited open. Yeah she's a little cold natured but I can't say I've ever seen that milky stuff in the oil cap. Maybe I drive different. I noticed you mentioned a VW thing, I've owned several VWs, funny cause I bought a new Thing in '73 it had a gas heater, to this day I still say that was THE COLDEST CAR I ever owned.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:48 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

David wrote:
36 hp fans have an inlet cone, in front of the fan, that is moved by the thermostat rod, not any flaps in the shroud.
Other than the fact that this inlet cone moves in & out of the suction of the fan, i dunno how they are adjusted .
:oops:

Oh yeah, didn't catch that he was talking about a 36. Yeah I'm aware of the piece that goes in the middle of the fan on those. Have no idea how to adjust it.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:12 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

hmm, since the inlet cone is Most efficient when it is Closest to the fan blades, then i would
Guess that it should be adjusted, when engine is fully at operating temperature, so that it
is as close to the rotating fan as it Can be, withOut touching the fan, causing any noise ,,,
anybody w/ a 36hp able to confirm this ?!?! BulliBill !!???
:shock:

Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:46 pm
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

It has a rubber bumper to keep it open. But she it heats up the cone touches the fan. I would hate to remove it.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:16 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

David wrote:
hmm, since the inlet cone is Most efficient when it is Closest to the fan blades, then i would
Guess that it should be adjusted, when engine is fully at operating temperature, so that it
is as close to the rotating fan as it Can be, withOut touching the fan, causing any noise ,,,

huh, I would have guessed it worked the opposite - that the closer the cone bit gets to the fan, the more air is *restricted*. I've only rarely seen them though, and no idea how it's supposed to be done. Is there no procedure in the Bentley?

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Yes.

1. Release throttle ring operating lever
2. Allow engine to warm up until upper end of thermostat touches upper stop of support ( at normal outside temperature).
3 adjust throttle ring so it opens 20 mm
4. Tighten operating lever

My big worry is if it fails it opens and takes out the fan.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:37 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

stl_stadtroller wrote:
David wrote:

huh, I would have guessed it worked the opposite - that the closer the cone bit gets to the fan, the more air is *restricted*. I've only rarely seen them though, and no idea how it's supposed to be done. Is there no procedure in the Bentley?

= = =
yup, Brian is correct ^^^ ,,, the Cold position is Closest to the fan wheel, the Hot position is Furthest from the fan wheel, about 20mm away ,,, my Bad !!
:oops:
therefore, if thermostat should fail 'closed', in the cold position, that could eventually cause overheating ,,, if it fails 'open', in the hot position, it would just take longer for engine to get to operating temps.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:34 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

found a old manual "The Volkswagen Owners Handbook" by Floyd Clymer. Copyright 1963. AIR REGULATOR RING (THROTTLE RING) It is normal for the air regulator ring to have a tilted position. (fig 7 & 8) so do not bend holding plate. Ring is centered by moving mounting bolts in their clearance holes. Connect return spring and adjust regulator ring. Regulator adjustment should be inspected regularly especially in countries subject to extremes in temperatures.
ENGINE COLD with a cold engine the regulator ring should rest against the air intake flange, slightly loaded. Warm up engine untill the top of thermostat element reaches end of travel. In this position the distance from the center of induction flange to edge of regulator ring should be .79in (20mm). ADJUSTMENT (ENGINE IN CAR) Disconnect regulator ring operating lever. Warm up engine until thermostat reaches upper stop. Adjust ring to .79in. as previously described. Tighten actuating lever (when engine is assembled on the bench, adjust by lifting thermostat element to upper stop). Check operating linkage for free operation. Correct thermostat adjustment is very important and should if possible be performed by a competent VW mechanic. Hope I helped. :mrgreen:

Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:30 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

was supposted to say fig 7 & 8. If I can help any more you can message me.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm