View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:45 pm

no brake lights!! 
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post no brake lights!!
Ok, so I've got running lights and blinkers/hazard lights, but NO brake lights.
I got out the trusty multi meter and I have 12 volts at both of the switches on the 68 bays master. But still no brake lights. Is it possible BOTH switches went bad at once? That has to be the problem right? :twisted:

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:23 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post Re: no brake lights!!
Did you try pushing the pedal to see if you have 12 volts coming out of the switches? The switches are easy to change, I'd do that any way.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:21 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Toggle switch. Good to go brotha man.

Seeya. Ted.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:33 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

I always just connect the two wires together and bypass the switch. If I have lights that way, then problem is in the switch. Most brakelight switches are junk nowdays.

Sounds like Ted got ya fixed up.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:16 pm
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

I don't know about any toggle switch Ted..
I will try connecting the two wires together directly to see if they work that way. I did have a stick on the brake pedal when I tested it and got 12 volts on each switch, but still had no lights.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:16 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Oh I get it now. I think Ted is saying rig the brake lights to a toggle switch and just work em by hand. :lol:

Connecting the wires together and bypassing the switch will tell you if your wiring is good. If you have lights that way, then wiring is good and it's most likely the switch. If the female spades on the wires are bare, you can just tape em together. If they have a coating or plastic on them, you can also use a paper clip and plug each connecter on to each side of the paper clip.

That's all assuming you don't have a helper, like I usually don't. Otherwise you can just have Ami stand in the back and tell you if you have lights when you touch them together.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:54 am
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Willeye wrote:
Oh I get it now. I think Ted is saying rig the brake lights to a toggle switch and just work em by hand. :lol:

Connecting the wires together and bypassing the switch will tell you if your wiring is good. If you have lights that way, then wiring is good and it's most likely the switch. If the female spades on the wires are bare, you can just tape em together. If they have a coating or plastic on them, you can also use a paper clip and plug each connecter on to each side of the paper clip.

That's all assuming you don't have a helper, like I usually don't. Otherwise you can just have Ami stand in the back and tell you if you have lights when you touch them together.

Normally I like to stand and look at HER behind,, but I might be able to talk her into checking mine out! :lol:

Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:33 pm
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Connecting them together produced light! Bad switches it is... Easy enough fix!
Thanks for the idea @willeyes

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:30 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

No problem. It's a trick I learned a long time ago when I used to work on stuff on my grandpa's farm.

Don't blame you on enjoying the rear view :lol:

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:41 am
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Willeye wrote:
No problem. It's a trick I learned a long time ago when I used to work on stuff on my grandpa's farm.

Don't blame you on enjoying the rear view :lol:

Funny story.. When Ami and I first met, it was on a big group hike. I was talking to an old man that morning and mentioned I had seen a pretty red ehaded girl in the trail meeting the night before. He said "Do yourself a favor and hike behind her for awhile!" I took his advice to heart, and have been following her ever since. :P

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:54 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Good advice to live by

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:49 am