View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:07 pm

Oil misting/leaks 
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post Oil misting/leaks
'69 Westy
Engine:
2110, Alum bubble case, dual Weber 44 IDFs, 009 dizzy, HD Melling oil pump, doghouse cooler, full-flowed to remote filter, 1 1/2 qt deep sump.
Breather hose routed from filler neck to breather box mounted on ceiling of engine compartment. Valve covers are not vented (yet).

Symptoms:
Messy oil misting inside engine compartment, dripping/leak below crank pulley--drips onto exhaust and burns.

Oil pressure is normal--60-70 psi at highway speeds. Oil temp ranges from 180-220 depending on ambient temp and driving conditions.

Oil press. sender has been relocated to remote filter housing--no leaks at case or housing.

Full-flow taps at case/oil pump could be leaking? Have to inspect further.

Oil level checked at dipstick when engine warmed up, between marks. Does stock dipstick give accurate reading with deep sump?
Could possibly be as simple as slightly over-filling oil level? At oil-changes, I start with 3.5 qts, run, check for leaks, then add once engine is up to temp
to between marks on stock dipstick. Running 10W 30 Pennzoil.

Have not done leak-down test or compression test--extremely hard/impossible to do with engine in--would require engine removal.
Engine has well over 40K miles--rings were seated well on break-in. Misting has just begun recently.

No sand seal/pulley -- does have aftermarket degree ring crank pulley--black with etched indicators. Could be source of leak/misting?

Any thought/help appreciated.

Last edited by cbcarch on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:56 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: Oil misting/leaks
My first best guess would be case over-pressure causing blowby of the oil slinger on the pulley.
Check your vent line(s) for obstruction and maybe test it out with some vented valve covers and see where it gets you?

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:32 am
Profile WWW
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Have read it's OK to vent 1/2 valve cover at top/front, and run hose to breather box--but you should NOT vent 3/4 valve cover as oil must return here from rocker back to case?

Anyhow--gonna change the oil, add 3 qts and then see where level is on dipstick--maybe try not to OVER fill it, with 1 1/2 qt sump and see if it still mists.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:48 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Either side the oil returns from the rocker cover, through the push-rod tubes to the case... I've never run vented covers but my understanding is that they're only supposed to allow the air pressure to equalize.. which may carry "some" oil mist up the line, but should not prevent normal collection and drainage.

The breather box is mounted up high so that the oil will condense and then drain back down the breather lines back into the engine.. or so I'm told.

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

ive had my engine do that when i run it to hard to to long, normally higher RPMs or 70 mph for an extended period of time. it wont leak if i go easy on it, 60-65 on the hwy.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:04 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Here is a recent thread on the Samba concerning venting valve covers...http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566237

Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:03 am