View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:35 pm

new carb reccomendations? 
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post new carb reccomendations?
Hey gang! I think I need a new carb. Plain and simple. BUT..what should I get?
I'm looking for advice on what to get, where to get it, and what to expect to pay..

History of the issue is as follows-- Dharma (the 68 bus) won't idle. It has never idled correctly as long as we have owned it. I have had motor work done at a few different shops, and they get it to idle, but it never stays. It starts acting up again usually it is within a few hundred miles. (or less)

There is a linkage that appears to be catching or bent, and I've tried to straighten that out, but it still doesn't fix the issue. One shop said the jets were messed up, and re-jetted the carb. That was the longest it ran correctly EVER.. Made it almost 1000 miles before it went south again.

I seriously just think a new carb is the answer! What should I go with? We recently upgraded the motor to a 1641, and its a dual port. Also, I run a Bosch 009 distributor if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice!

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:40 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: new carb reccomendations?
rebuilt and re-bushed OE unit. didn't we just have that in a thread somewhere? There was a link to a guy selling them out exchange..

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:53 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Your idle might be the 009 and not the carb. I had a German 009 in my buggy and had some difficulty with idling and switched to a 019 and have never looked back!

Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:41 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

What they said! 009's aren't great for daily driven (non-race) old VWs. Dump the 009 for the correct vacuum advance distributor. Find a decent used but complete 30PICT-1 carb and have username "tasb" over on theSamba.com rebuild/rebush it for you. He will set it all up correctly for the motor you tell him that you have. He rebushed/rebuilt the 30Pict-1 on my '67 Westy (at BNNTA this next weekend) and it runs beautiful with it's correct stock vacuum advance distributor. I don't think I'd bother with the Indian/Chinese aftermarket replacement distributors...

bill

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:26 am
Profile WWW
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

BulliBill wrote:
What they said! 009's aren't great for daily driven (non-race) old VWs. Dump the 009 for the correct vacuum advance distributor. Find a decent used but complete 30PICT-1 carb and have username "tasb" over on theSamba.com rebuild/rebush it for you. He will set it all up correctly for the motor you tell him that you have. He rebushed/rebuilt the 30Pict-1 on my '67 Westy (at BNNTA this next weekend) and it runs beautiful with it's correct stock vacuum advance distributor. I don't think I'd bother with the Indian/Chinese aftermarket replacement distributors...

bill

Thanks Bill, and all!! I actually got one of those cheap ass Chinese junk Dizzys, and that was what stuck us out in Alberquerque last fall. Won't go with cheap shit again! I will check that dude out on thesamba.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:30 am
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Dual (genuine) Webers---maybe 40 IDFs. Find a pair of old Italian or Spanish ones.
Gives you one barrel of carb per cylinder, instead of one tiny barrel trying to feed all 4 cylinders.

I have run a Bosch 009 dizzy on every VW I've owned since I was 15-- always had good performance
using it with Webers.

Using an 009 (which uses centrifugal advance) with a stock carb typically gives you a "flat spot"--which is why the general consensus is to go with a vacuum advance dizzy and a good rebuilt German stock carb. Drove Ted's bus and it has the "flat spot" around 2500 RPM on acceleration.

( I personally do not favor any vacuum connections --cause it "sucks"....)

Just sayin'...... 8)

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:29 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:23 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

The older Bosch 010 and 019 distributors are centrifugal advance as well and much more reliable/consistent than a 009.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:27 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

I use Solex H30/31 carbs and Bosch 010 distributors in both my VWs. I'm very pleased with the combo. Nice strong acceleration through all RPM ranges.
1600 SP in the truck, 1600 DP in the bug.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:48 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

cbcarch wrote:
Dual (genuine) Webers---maybe 40 IDFs. Find a pair of old Italian or Spanish ones.
Gives you one barrel of carb per cylinder, instead of one tiny barrel trying to feed all 4 cylinders.

I have run a Bosch 009 dizzy on every VW I've owned since I was 15-- always had good performance
using it with Webers.

Using an 009 (which uses centrifugal advance) with a stock carb typically gives you a "flat spot"--which is why the general consensus is to go with a vacuum advance dizzy and a good rebuilt German stock carb. Drove Ted's bus and it has the "flat spot" around 2500 RPM on acceleration.

Just sayin'...... 8)

I'm just guessing, but from the first post it sounds like Tim has a 1641 cc engine. A pair of dual-throat Weber 40 IDFs might be a little too much for a relatively small displacement motor. If you don't choose to go with a well-rebuilt/rebushed stock carb, then look at a pair of Weber 34 ICTs (two single throat carbs) and the appropriate linkage kit. I think Kadron also makes a similar set-up, but if I was forced to choose between the two, I believe that I'd go with the Webers.

I say this because I had a brand new pair of Italian Weber 44 IDF XE Plus carbs on a 1776 engine in my Karmann Ghia Coupe for many years, and it worked, but was a bit too much carb tor the 1776. Once I switched down to a Italian Weber 34 ICT kit, the engine pulled a little better through all rpm ranges, and seemed "happier". Just my opinions...

Bill

Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Yep--

Agreed.

40s are prob. too much --forgot Tim has such as small engine in that bus.

Pair of single bbl 34's would be nice!

Have fun at BNNTA everyone--can't make it this year. 8)

Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:35 pm
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

cbcarch wrote:
Yep--

Agreed.

40s are prob. too much --forgot Tim has such as small engine in that bus.

Pair of single bbl 34's would be nice!

Have fun at BNNTA everyone--can't make it this year. 8)

Thanks again for the input guys! and yea... I've got a tiny motor..its genetics. :mrgreen:

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:13 pm