View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:09 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Engine runs bad 
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: Engine runs bad
I'm sure by "electronic ignition" he actually means "electronic points replacement". Two wires, hot and ground.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:24 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

I have never had any problems with my '70 stock points and condenser set up in my bug. Is there any real advantage to change ???? :roll:
Pat

Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:49 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

mowerman wrote:
I have never had any problems with my '70 stock points and condenser set up in my bug. Is there any real advantage to change ???? :roll:
Pat

Hall effect pickups don't close up on you or require maintenance. I've had a compu-fire in my stock vac advance distributor since about 1998. Which is also that last time I ever had to set my timing or think about it at all.

You can claim to "never have had problems" with your points, but they are a wear item and at some point you've at least been required to re-adjust them and reset your timing.

I still check my timing along with my valve adjustment every time, but I've never had to jigger with it since.

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

I'm pondering buying a few for my Bosch 010s. I didn't have any trouble with the Pertronix in my SVDA.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

You can claim to "never have had problems" with your points, but they are a wear item and at some point you've at least been required to re-adjust them and reset your timing.

I still check my timing along with my valve adjustment every time, but I've never had to jigger with it since.

I am 67 years old. The first third of my driving time, I have had cars with points and condensers. As long as I kept up with normal maintenance I never had any problems. I'm an old car guy. The maintenance is part of the fun.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:57 pm
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

I am your age and long ago would carry an extra points and condenser with me and have had to change them on the road. No thanks, general up keep is fine, but doing it along side the road is for younger folks. Now I want my drivers to be dependable. So things like this that still look original from the outside but work much better are the thing for me.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:09 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

rod30 wrote:
I am your age and long ago would carry an extra points and condenser with me and have had to change them on the road. No thanks, general up keep is fine, but doing it along side the road is for younger folks. Now I want my drivers to be dependable. So things like this that still look original from the outside but work much better are the thing for me.

:lol: :lol: I guess I have just been lucky over the years. I too have a spare set in my glove box, but have never had to change on the road on any of my cars. Luck of the Irish I guess. :lol:

Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:13 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

:oops: Okay the more I think about it, I am too old to be replacing these on the road. What have you guys found to be the best kit to change the points and condenser over to.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:42 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

mowerman wrote:
:oops: Okay the more I think about it, I am too old to be replacing these on the road. What have you guys found to be the best kit to change the points and condenser over to.

:lol:
Pertronix is the most well known.
Even with one of those, I'd carry a spare set of points and a condenser. When they die, they just die. No warning.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:07 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

:cry:
meh, i'm gettin' too old, as well, but do & did change 'em on side of road on trip back from ABQ last month :oops:
along w/ plugs & coil, in separate 'stops' ,,, :roll:
hell, the journey is Still part of the destination, & sometimes, ya just gotta do whut u gotta do, to be bound to cover just a few more miles :mrgreen:
:oops:
oh, and u should ask yellvilleChad whut He thinks about points-less ignitions ,,, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:42 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Brian and Cully both have good points. no pun intended. anyway. the compufire or petronix are awesome because once they're in your never have to screw with points again. the down side to them is they are man made and can fail at any given moment. the problem is when they fail they fail without warning unlike points that normally gradually get worse. if you decide to run a petronix like setup and decide to travel out of town ,i would carry a set of points and condenser along just in case. its better to have it and not need it.
ive run both set ups in my various VWs over the years. i loved the petronix because they always worked but i always carried points just in case. ive been running points for a while now just because ive been to cheap to buy another petronix set up. i just had to change my points out after them being in there for the last 6 years.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:44 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Guess I'll add to this debate. I started running EI in my VWs about a year or two ago. So far I love it, for all the reasons people have mentoned. Have heard some bad stories too, and I also keep a set of points and condensor in my toolbox.

I guess they're also supposed to give you a bump in hp and mpg. I'm not sure that's true or not.

So is this guy any closer to getting his car running right?

Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:09 am
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

OK, back to the original problem. The heating problems were caused by the tar board blocking air flow. It was also leaking some oil from the rear main so I removed the engine to replace the seal and to gain access to the insulation. All of that has been done but engine has not been put back in. It may be Tuesday or Wednesday before I can do that. I do feel very confident that my issues were corrected. Thanks to you that helped. I will know in a few days.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:44 am
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Last night I got the engine back in and this afternoon in the heat I finished up things to make it run. Could not get it to run correct with the EI distributor so switched back to the points distributor. The same problem exists that I had before with the timing. My book says a 68 should me timed at the left of the three marks on the pulley which is TDC. It wont hardly run at this setting. When I change it to about 13-15 before TDC it seems to run OK. I did check TDC by watching the valves so I think the mark on the pulley is correct. It does not idle nice like it once did before it over heated. When I got to this point I was hot and tired and wanted to go inside so I did not take it for a drive and see how it does. Test drive will have to wait for another day.

During the time the engine was out I also replaced the rear main seal since I was seeing some oil from that location. New seal does not seem to have made any difference. Still leaking.

I also did a compression check (done with the engine cold) 110-110-115-125.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:19 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

You do not tune an SVDA distributor (which you have) at TDC. It goes at 7.5 degrees BTDC, vacuum line disconnected and plugged, as stated before. If Billy is correct, that is the center mark.
The book assumes you have a vacuum-only distributor - which you do not have.

You might have an oil cooler leak that is running down the back of the engine...hard to say.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:48 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next