View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:09 am

lookin for suggestions 
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post lookin for suggestions
Let me start off with in the past month I rebuilt the top end and put the engine back in (1600 single port with altenator) then last week I installed a new battery (cause the old one was 9 yrs old). All is well been driving it everywhere top speed 60mph. No probs at all. Can't wait to wind it up after a few more miles. Never driven in the snow and seldom in the rain. So I took it up to the gym (3 miles) cause the snow is finally gone. I parked it in my driveway early in the day and go out about 3 to put it in the garage. I hit the switch the starter hits but not much more than a click. I try again and notice the idiot lights don't come on. Next time the lights come on but the starter just clicks once. Out comes the back seat and I check the battery connections (that I had just cleaned when installing the battery). They seem fine. Then I go to the engine and check the connections on the altenator and trace the wires across the firewall. I then climb under the car with my 13mm check the bolts on the starter and the push on wire connector. Then back under the seat with the 13mm and check the ground cable to body connection. Then I hit the switch again and it starts right up. I check it with my multimeter and it's charging like 14.2 volts. So I restart it 3 more times everytime it starts right up. Then I check all the fuses they seem ok. Then I pop the trunk pull off the dash cover and check all wiring at the switch and the connectors on the fuse box. :!: I mean it happened at the best location my driveway but it has me wondering if there is something else I should check. :?: I'm thinking while writing this I'll go out I seem to remember a cable from the body to the transmission.??? Any other ideas?

Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:33 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: lookin for suggestions
yup, there's a ground cable btwn. transaxle & frame, & u could check it, maybe one or both bolts are loose ~ !!?
but it sounds like u have checked most everything else it could be , except maybe something loose inside the ignition switch ,,, ?
:?:
perhaps your wiggling all those wires around, made one of those elec. connections tighten up ~ ?!

Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:39 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

thanks David. I raised the car to find the flat woven cable you talked about. It runs from the nose of the tranny (facing the front of the car) to the trans mount. I remembered it as we put new trans mounts in it. Trouble with it is it tightens down on the bolt from the body but the mount is covered in rubber not the best to tighten down. There must be some special wrench to tighten it as neither a 17mm socket or crowsfoot wrench or box end will fit it. I put the 17mm straight on with a screwdriver for leverage in the box end. Yes it was kinda loose. I pulled all of it out and made it all shiny. Got to lookin at the positive battery cable again I think it was the original from '63 and the clamp was pretty chewed up. So I got a new cable and installed it. I figured I have all the stuff under the car checked out. But honestly I have my fingers crossed that it never happens again. Cause I never did find anything that I was sure was the problem.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:27 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

8)
cool !
hope those 2 items will fix it 4 ya !
elec. gremlins, can truly be difficult to find, at times :x

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:00 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Yeah, first things I always look at are the grounds. Good that you removed the braided cable, cleaned it up and de-greased it before re-installing and tightening it up. Also do that to the short ground cable between the chassis and the battery "-" terminal too. You probably already did the battery end when installing the new battery, but did you clean the other end where it bolts to the chassis bolt? Also, good that you replaced the ancient positive battery cable too! Next thing I'd do if you haven't recently would be to go from the front of the car to the back and unplug every electrical connection/connector and clean up the male and female ends with a tiny wire wheel on a Dremel drill until they are shiny brass, then put a dab of die-electric grease on the connections re-crimp the loose ones and re-connect them. Tedious but relatively simple maintenance. Bumper to bumper, every connection! You won't believe how much that can improve a long neglected electrical system.

Happy starting!

Bill Bowman

Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:18 am
Profile WWW
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

It was the ground cable?????? So it's 50 today I'll do some running around in the bug. Forgot something at home and stopped by, jump back in R-R nothing. I won't bore you with all I said but there were no red/green lights on the speedometer. I kept trying the switch thinking the switch died again. You will notice my first post was in 2015 well it happened again. So I said I want someone else to watch what I do and went to the neighbors house (retired mechanic). While at his house it dawns on me I never looked at the headlights so we go over to my house with the bug dead in the driveway and the starter again then I try the headlights...nothing. So I pull the backseat and my neighbor says can't you turn on something?? So I turned on the wiper switch and look at the battery and cables and move the ground cable at the body and the wipers start running and no matter what I do nothing stops. Starts fine, everything works (lost all the radio presets). So I go down to the auto parts and replace the ground cable (positive cable replaced when this happened before). Starts right up. Put the old ground cable end in the vice and pull on it, I thought it might pull out of the end. Then I put a Ohm meter on the 25inch long cable 1.2 ohms (seems high for a short cable). But no matter what I do the meter never changes. I hope I'm not updating this post in 6 months :roll:

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:40 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

I forgot to say this happened again last summer I had limited tools but went over everything and suddenly it started. I have had no problems since that one time then. So far it has always quit in a friendly place (knock on wood, but you can only be so lucky)

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:48 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

did you clean up the battery post, and the spot where it bolts to the body - and the bolt itself - real good? maybe it wasn't the cable so much as the contact on the body. they can get pretty rusty.

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:15 am
Profile WWW
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

thanks for the suggestion but done all that. The body is still shiney where I damn near polshed it last summer. I had removed the battery cable and wire brushed it till it was silver. Battery posts were cleaned again even though I had done this last time as it was a fairly new battery. That is why it was messin with my head. The other two times it happened I would do several things then check and it would start. Turning on the wipers was a great help cause I was down on the back floor behind the seat and as soon as I bent the ground cable I heard the wipers and I knew I had found it. I hope.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:05 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

I wonder if your (I assume old original) ignition switch (inner connections) are wearing out and starting to intermittently fail?

Bill

Sun May 07, 2017 9:58 am
Profile WWW