View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:36 pm

VWs and the total eclipse of the sun on Aug 21st, 2017 in MO 
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post VWs and the total eclipse of the sun on Aug 21st, 2017 in MO
Anyone doing anything with their VWs and Camper in conjunction with the upcoming and rare total eclipse of the Sun on Aug 21st? We are hoping for good, clear skies and will be in our Westy in Central Mo not far from Jeff City to view this rare celestial event. Already bought our viewing glasses and everything!

Bill & Kathryn

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:22 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: VWs and the total eclipse of the sun on Aug 21st, 2017 i
We'll be on our way home from Nashville that day (in the 'Bago) so we're planning on stopping off at a state park near Metropolis IL (we'll actually be camping there on Friday night too) on the way home. Hopefully get there a few hours early and just hang out until "the main event" then drive the rest of the way home.

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:39 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

We plan on camping Sat-Monday in mid MO, probably at a river access spot somewhere north of Freeburg - east of Jeff City. We have a few possible spots picked out. Somewhere where there isn't a bunch of people.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:20 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Hey Willeye,

Were you in a White over Red old Splitty eastbound on Hwy 50 through Linn, MO about 4pm yesterday? We were just parking our '67 Westy Campmobile in a gas station to get a bag of ice, and my wife Kathryn spotted the Bus, pointed it out to me and my horn just would not cooperate to get your attention! I hope that was you!

Bill & Kathryn Bowman

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:50 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Hello all,

So my wife Kathryn and I have been planning for about eight months to view this celestial phenomenon. I've viewed "partial" eclipses before, but never a "total" eclipse. Luckily we live about 10 miles off the outer edge of the projected path of the moons shadow on the outskirts of St. Louis. A close friend has property on the banks of the Osage River right where it merges into the Missouri River, almost in the center of the path of the eclipse about two hours drive from our home. So we planned to make a campout of this eclipse! We initially planned to take our '87 Vanagon Westfalia Camper GL, but we discovered a fuel leak in either a F.I. line or a fuel rail so parts were ordered but wouldn't arrive in time. So out of the garage came our trusty 1967 SO-42 Campmobile to save the day!

We took a beautiful country drive out to Greg's property and set-up camp and relaxed the day before and just hung out on Monday waiting for the phenomenon to occur.

In this simple cell phone shot below the camera couldn't capture (without some kind of a filter) the moon about half way across the sun, so you'll have to use your imagination. With viewing through filtered eclipse glasses our eyes definitely could see it perfectly. It was very cool to watch!

(EDIT: Holy Shit!!! In this shot below, not until I posted this to the Samba.com and viewed the photo full size, I hadn't noticed the small bizarre reflection that you can see just below the overhang over the windshield which, if you look close, you can see the moon crossing over the sun within the reflection. Weird!)

The actual two and a half minutes of "totality" and darkness that we got to personally experience was wonderfully odd, eerie, and very memorable. Sorry but we were too stunned to take photos during that part of the viewing. Crazy! This photo probably sums up what we looked like...

We are so glad that we got to see it, and lucky that the light cloudiness that morning broke up into a beautiful blue sky a few hours before eclipse time for perfect viewing conditions. We're already talking about the next one passing very close by again in 2024!

Bill & Kathryn Bowman

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:52 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Kewl photos and story Bill. We just watched it at work, had a really good view of it though.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:53 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

BulliBill wrote:
Hey Willeye,

Were you in a White over Red old Splitty eastbound on Hwy 50 through Linn, MO about 4pm yesterday? We were just parking our '67 Westy Campmobile in a gas station to get a bag of ice, and my wife Kathryn spotted the Bus, pointed it out to me and my horn just would not cooperate to get your attention! I hope that was you!

Bill & Kathryn Bowman

Yep that was me, guess I didn't notice you getting gas. I had to go over to St. Clair and pick up the mother and law and take her back to Springfield. She got her first ride in the bus.

We had a similar experience. We camped Sat and Sun night into mid day Monday just west of Freeburg under the P hwy bridge and played in the river for 2 days. Daniel even came for a little visit on Sunday. Clear skies for the whole eclipse, it's was pretty damn cool. I didn't really take any pics during the eclipse just enjoyed the moments. We stopped at B&C on Monday post eclipse, chatted with Laurie and bought a couple things.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:54 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Cool! Sounds like you had fun! Were you "stealth" camping or is there a campground under the bridge? Sitting in a river during those hot, steamy days sounds great! Seeing a rare "total eclipse" was just gravy!

Yeah, I couldn't believe my wife spotted your Splitty, although in my defense, I was backing into a parking spot at the time. Of course I tried to honk the horn, but no-go, I gotta take the button apart and see what's up wit dat! It was cool to see you in that cool old Camper cruise right by! If we didn't need that bag of ice I'd have tried to catch you as we were heading east on Hwy 50 also. We turned north on 19 to Herman, crossed the Missouri River and took 94 and "B" to Warrensburg and onto I-70 home... Really nice backroad driving that day, we and my '67 loved it!

I hope you found Laurie and Mike well. We should have taken a side trip to see them but were eager to get home and put the '67 to bed and crank up the air con.

Bill & Kathryn
http://www.bnnta.com

Last edited by BulliBill on Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:21 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Backroads were much better to travel than they big roads as always. Yeah our campsite was just a local river access spot, not an official campground. We checked about 6 other spots in the area on Saturday before we decided on this one.

We'll see you guys next weekend.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:50 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

for the Facespace impaired:

so Diane and I were driving home from Nashville yesterday (Monday), planning to stop at Fort Massic state park in Metropolis for the eclipse. We started to get a little psyched out on the drive seeing all the spots getting filled up, so we stopped early at the exit for Cadiz, KY off I-24 and pulled into a Cracker Barrel parking lot to camp out for a few hours.

Turns out that just by pure chance, I'd chosen a spot just a few minutes away from the epicenter of the whole darn thing, and we had 2 minutes, 37 seconds of totality there!

I set up my older GoPro Hero2 (the ones where you can't view what it's pointed at) on the back of the RV and I just *barely* had it in frame! Whew!!
For you pixel-peepers, you can see a Venus popping out on the right, and just barely make out a speck that is Mercury on the left.

We kept a close eye on traffic on the way home, and saw that I-57 heading north was a complete cluster from about where I-24 links up with it, all the way to Mt Vernon. Google and our GPS was telling us there was about 160 minutes of delay!
No way man.. I whipped a left turn at Vienna and we drove west to IL Rt3 and it was a GREAT drive at 55mph home. I might have to make that our usual route if we go back with the Vista.

It was also hot as balls out, with time & temp signs we passed in the small towns reading between 97-100 degrees. We gave the generator a workout on Monday for sure.. ran it for the 3+hrs sitting at the Cracker Barrel, then left it running for the rest of the drive home as well so we could run the big overhead A/C. The dash unit doesn't do shit when it's THAT hot. Even then, it really wasn't that comfortable until the sun started to go down. Got 11mpg on that tank :/

Saw a red T4 weekender headed south on I24 in Kentucky, a T4 full camper passed us going north on I24 in Illinois, and saw a brown T3 Westy heading south on Rt3 near Chester.

Attachments:
G0039116.JPG
G0039116.JPG [ 881.71 KiB | Viewed 241 times ]
20170821_121034.jpg
20170821_121034.jpg [ 938.92 KiB | Viewed 241 times ]

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Nice shot Brian, did you use a filter on that GoPro to be able to see the black (moon) over the Sun? Yeah, it was hot where we were too. Nice to get back home that evening and soak up the air con...

Bill

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:34 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

BulliBill wrote:
Nice shot Brian, did you use a filter on that GoPro to be able to see the black (moon) over the Sun? Yeah, it was hot where we were too. Nice to get back home that evening and soak up the air con...

Bill

no filter Bill, just the camera on it's default settings. With the extreme wide angle of the GoPro I wasn't worried about pointing it right at the sun.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:24 am
Profile WWW