View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:36 pm

when was the last time... 
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post when was the last time...
you drained the water out of your air compressor tank? So on the days I don't go to the gym I walk like a mile in the neighborhood. I'm out in the street talking to a neighbor that was driving by. KABOOM! there is a explosion another neighbor runs out of her house yelling "did you hear that explosion?" I asked were her lights still on as it sounded like a transformer on a electric pole exploded. A different neighbor comes out and says it was him. We go to his garage and he shows me that he was airing up his bicycle tires (not a mechanical kinda guy) and is around the corner from his compressor when it exploded. His compressor was one of those smaller like 6 gallon tank units that is used for staple guns for roofing. I asked when did you last drain the water out of it?, he said, "it's been a while".The air compressor was behind a wooden table and blew up breaking the legs off the wooden table which collasped. The compressor is now upside down and there is a 1 foot hole in the bottom of the tank (not where the welds were). You could see the bottom rusted out where the water was sitting in it. The compressor unit that was mounted to the top of the tank was now laying off to the side and damn near everything that was in that area of the garage was covered in a oil/water goo mixture. He was very lucky. So when was the last time? "oh it's been a while" ???? :roll:

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:38 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post Re: when was the last time...
I try to drain mine once a month, but sometimes it's longer. I noticed water coming out of the air line this last weekend, so It needs drained again. All this humidity really makes them build up with water.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:16 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Holy Crap! I've always been aware about that issue and worried about the possibility of that happening, and I'll usually drain the tank immediately once I'm through using the compressor, but come to think of it, I haven't done so in about a month. I'm going downstairs right now to do a charge-up and then draining of the air and moisture! And I have a huge 60 gallon two-stage compressor, imagine the damage it could do in that situation! I'm so glad to hear that the guy was not injured in the explosion and that telling his story might save one of us from making that mistake in the future...

Bill Bowman

Last edited by BulliBill on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:16 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

The drain valve on my Craftsman roll-around one stripped out years ago.. I'd say it hasn't been drained in at least, oh, 15 years?

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:42 am
Profile WWW