View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:31 am

I guess we all get here sooner or later 
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post I guess we all get here sooner or later
Image[/URL]
So I'm heading to the gym last week and I step on the clutch and I can feel something snap and now I have twice as much freeplay as before. :shock: When I come out of the gym I push it out of the parking space. Put it in 1st and start it and away I go. I have always heard how peeps would say you can powershift a bug. Well I'm not good at it and ran a couple of stop signs on the way home but I got it home. I stopped in the street shut it off put in in reverse and started it and away I go toward the unopen garage door in panic. :shock: Got in the garage up on jackstands and off to Archway for a new clutch cable. DO pull the drivers seat out to climb in that weird positon to get that little snapring off the gas pedal. Got the cable in with help from the neighbor pulling on a string I attached to the new cable. Got it all together pulled it off the stands jumped in and hit the key RRRRRR no start. Try again RRRRRR no start. Get out and look at the engine I knocked the points wire loose from the coil. :roll: Easy fix. Get in twist the key NOTHING no lights NOTHING. Pull out the back seat checking the cables and the ground cable connection to body is rusted so I try to remove it. Damn thing must of been in place since 1963 rusted and covered with undercoating. Jack it back up put it on stands and wirebrush and Liquidwrench the bolt underneath. Get back on top and wirebrush and scrape all the undercoating off shine everything up tighten it up and hit the key. 8) Drove it down to Hillsboro for a test drive and I'm still smiling. :!:

Thu May 05, 2016 5:20 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post Re: I guess we all get here sooner or later
I'm going to save you 15 minutes. I know the accelerator cable just slipped off the gas pedal thingy when you removed the pedals. But no matter how much you cuss scream and hold your tongue :evil: you are not going to get the accelerator cable back on till you give up and disconnect it at the carburator. But then watch out and don't knock the points wire loose at the coil. :roll:

Thu May 05, 2016 6:02 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: I guess we all get here sooner or later
Hate working on beetles, having to remove the seats to do stuff is annoying. Geez taking out the back seat just to get to the stupid battery. Split buses are much easier to work on. :shock:

Fri May 06, 2016 9:56 am