View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:28 am

death of a VW 
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post death of a VW
:shock: I've known about this sad tale for a couple of weeks. One of my best friends is JRB572's dad. So my friend and JRB drive to Milwalkee 3 yrs ago and buy a '57 bug and haul it home to Mo. The body is in pretty good shape and it comes with an engine but it's not in the car. JRB is a body man by trade so he did a hell of a lot of work on it. He had to have the 36hp engine rebuilt and still had some problems with the engine but got it fixed. Then if you've read the posts he had a hell of a time getting someone to put a headliner in it then gets the interior done. So 3 yrs go by he gets new tires on it, gets a bunch of frontend work on it and deceides it's finally done. One week later a lady with no insurance rearends him and totals it. He had it insured for $10K and got most of it. He also got the car back and I was told today he sold the car to a shop up around Ferguson. I've known about this whole deal and was waiting for him to post. His dad told me today he's sick over all of it and is not looking back. :cry:

Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:30 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post Re: death of a VW
Yes that sucks. In this day and age with everybody being so distracted while driving, it's very difficult to drive any kind of a car and relax, especially something that means a lot to you. I drive my cars like I ride a motorcycle, but unfortunately when you are stopped at a light you can't do much but hope and pray that the Asshat behind you gets stopped. Hopefully the new owner will have the means to fix the car, or at the very least it will be an organ donor to another unfortunate Bug.

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:40 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Dang that sucks...I hope he is OK though..can't replace yourself, but you can replace a car

Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:02 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Are you serious!!! It's been totaled? This is the Oval that he's been doing a great job on, asking lots of questions about, and now it's wrecked so fast?

Holy Shit! I'm bummed, I was hoping to get a look at his finished product, it looked great. My condolences to JRB572 and for his Oval. That just isn't fair! I hope the inattentive driver smacked their stupid head on the steering wheel, but we probably aren't that lucky... I hope JRB walked out of the accident without a scratch...

Bummed! Moral of the story for many of you out there: always get a "stated" value policy from a reputable Collector car insurance company. They aren't even expensive. I can't imagine that $10K is gonna replace all the product and labor he threw at that Oval. I'm covered by "Grundy Worldwide" and I think I have at least a $30K stated value policy on my '55 Sunroof.

So sorry to hear about this!

Bill

Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

My friend said JRB was a little sore for a couple of days no serious injury. They said there were no skid marks when she hit him in the rear and he did end up in the back seat. :cry:

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:01 pm
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

I no longer own the car. It did total. But someone locally purchased it and is fixing it.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:58 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Just glad to hear that you are okay! So bummed to hear of the accident, you hardly had the work on it finished and got whacked. Something we all fear, but we still keep on driving them. I hope this doesn't sour you on old VWs for long!

Care to tell us more about the sad incident? We're all glad to hear that you are okay!

Bill

Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:11 am
Profile WWW
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

I was at a stop sign stopped. I looked in the rear view mirror and seen a car coming up fast and thought wow their moving fast and next thing I was in the back with my seat on top of me and my crocks were still in the front. I poured a lot of time and money in the car. I should have insured it for more. That was my fault. I would have had way too much into fixing it again to be worth me doing it. The bad part was the lady had a good insurance card. Bad thing it was a cheap by the month insurance company and she had not paid. The max they would have paid was what my insurance gave me for it.

Long story short. I am probably done again till I find my next bug. I swore this last time it was a rag oval to get me back in and I found it and lost it. Well this time it's a rag split all matching numbers. And proper parts there already.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:01 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Man, that just bums me out. So sorry that the accident happened to you and to that Oval! But I'm delighted that you're okay, and that you've set a new goal of eventually finding a Split Bug to restore! Funny detail to visualize in that you found yourself in the back seat area and your seat was on top of you and your crocks were still up front. Okay, enough visualizing, other than seeing you happy again in a Split-Bug someday soon! You can hitch a ride with me in my '55 original paint Deluxe Sunroof Beetle anytime you need a "fix" of your future...

Bill Bowman

Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:47 pm
Profile WWW