View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:50 am

50 yrs of drivin and wrenchin on VW bugs 
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post 50 yrs of drivin and wrenchin on VW bugs
Saturday is my 66th birthday. I got my first VW on my 16th birthday. It was a '58 bug that a serviceman had brought back from Germany. It had seminol turn signals, a Kilometer speedometer and a Blaupunkt (spelling) radio.It had a sunroof on it that I had to put tire patches on to seal the holes. One day while riding it the battery exploded and choked the hell out of my girlfriend and I. I continued to drive it like that for a long time. I would just have to push start it. I paid $50 for the car and had to make time payments. Which I had to pay off before I got the car. You would think after owning them for 50 years I'd of got a little smarter. Nah! Recently after doing a bunch of work under my present '63 bug I dragged myself out and told my wife, "It seems a lot harder than it used to be." :lol:

Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:55 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: 50 yrs of drivin and wrenchin on VW bugs
Good story, congrats on 50yrs of driving the little peoples car.

Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:24 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Congrats on being a lifer

Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:33 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

horshak wrote:
Saturday is my 66th birthday. I got my first VW on my 16th birthday. It was a '58 bug that a serviceman had brought back from Germany. It had seminol turn signals, a Kilometer speedometer and a Blaupunkt (spelling) radio.It had a sunroof on it that I had to put tire patches on to seal the holes. One day while riding it the battery exploded and choked the hell out of my girlfriend and I. I continued to drive it like that for a long time. I would just have to push start it. I paid $50 for the car and had to make time payments. Which I had to pay off before I got the car. You would think after owning them for 50 years I'd of got a little smarter. Nah! Recently after doing a bunch of work under my present '63 bug I dragged myself out and told my wife, "It seems a lot harder than it used to be." :lol:

You had "seminol turn signals"! How did you get a Florida Indian tribesman to ride on your running board and point his arm in whatever direction you wanted to turn? LOL! Would have been a lot easier and cheaper to use the cars turn switch and have that little "semaphore" arm on each side to light up and pop-out pointing the direction you wanted to turn. But I bet the Indian looked pretty cool at lower speeds, at higher speeds not so much! LOL!!! Sorry, I just had to do it! By the way, I'm pretty sure you got

Happy Birthday to you! I just turned 62 on Dec 19th...

Bill

Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

well damn I didn't know. The Indians always rode on the running boards, they came with the car. It was expensive having to feed them. :lol:

Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:07 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Awesome reply! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:25 pm
Profile WWW