View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:23 pm

36 HP rebuild 
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post 36 HP rebuild
Hey guys. Just finished up getting my 36 out of the oval tonight and got it in my basement on the bench. I have a few questions for everyone. I found a set of rebuilt heads for $225. Is that cheaper than getting a valve job and stuff done locally? They have new valves,seats and HD springs. The motor is not orginal to the car. So no big deal to me if there the orginal heads. Who locally is the go to guy for machine work. I asked Al Shelton if he worked on 36ers. He said no. Now I am not sure if that included machine work. Who can weld the block? I am going to see if the mystery patch can be welded up. Finally if Bill reads this. Will you come help me adjust the thermostat ring correctly once I am done? My mechanic won't like the throttle ring being on the motor. He just doesn't trust them. Does it need to be in or out of the car to adjust? Tomorrow night I am starting the tear down . My VW mechanic is going to help me with rebuilding the motor. I'll be doing the work and he'll know what it needs. You could not ask for a better friend and mechanic.

Here is the mystery patch I need fixed.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 84.73 KiB | Viewed 995 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 127.02 KiB | Viewed 995 times ]
Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:10 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post Re: 36 HP rebuild
not sure about 36 hp motor. If you take your heads to Archway they will rebuild the heads (new valves and seats if needed) they told me there were no hardend seats for no lead use as VW seats were very hard. I asked as this is a common modification on older Harleys. Maybe they were blowing smoke. What I found out at the beginning of the year when I did a top end on my 1600 they will sell you a complete kit of cylinders with pistons and rings it was easy to install them they told me German ones were no longer available. The old ones are sitting on the floor in the box as I can't figure out what to do with them. The kit parts were made in China and I looked it up on the net and China is located in Jefferson County, Texas. (it's on the net it must be true) :lol:

Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:03 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

the guy that built my engine didn't believe in the thermostat either so I have been running this engine for 17yrs without it. It is a little cold natured but the car runs all year as long. Seldom in the rain NEVER in the snow. (Salt)

Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:08 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Never seen a patch like that, but I'd probably leave it rather than trying to weld up the hole. Welding on magnesium sounds like a mess. Plus it's unique. Doubt it really hurts anything being there.

Rebuilding a 36hp engine shouldn't really be any different than rebuilding any other aircooled engine. Except the parts might be harder to find and more expensive since they are older and not as popular as larger type1 engines.

As for heads, it's best not to go cheap on heads. They are a very important part of your engine, worth while to spend money on quality heads. Also important to have everything balanced. Good heads, good parts (not china junk) and a balanced engine will last.

Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:29 am
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

I am having Jason that use to work at arch way take a look at the heads for me. I ordered new cylinders,pistons , reconditioned rods and bearings. My mechanic pointed me in the direction of a guy that thinks he can weld it. I have not brought it to him yet.

Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:06 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Curious what brand are the P&Cs? Does AA make them for 36hp?

Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:37 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Guess they do. http://aapistons.com/collections/piston ... linder-kit

Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:42 am
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

This is the place I ordered my stuff from. http://aircooledresearch.com

Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:04 am