View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:31 am

Good meeting you all... and the breakdown lowdown. 
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post Good meeting you all... and the breakdown lowdown.
Aw guys - it was HEARTBREAKING seeing you all pass us as our Westy was getting winched up onto the roll-on in Wentzville.

We're not sure what's up yet - we were just minding our own business, cruising right along at a solid 55 when the instrument panel lit up and we heard the tell-tale "knocking of bad news", put the clutch in... and coasted to where y'all saw us. As we broke down in quite possibly the worst spot on 70, my only goal was to get everyone out of the vehicle until we could figure out the next step. Insurance covered the tow to my buddies shop in Foristell, where I gave it a crank for good measure. The engine caught and idled for a second or two before I shut it down, and it wasn't knocking... worse?... than it was when we first pulled over. No giant puddles of oil or anything that screamed, "WELL THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM!"

I'll be headed out that way next weekend when my friend has some free time on the lift to put it up and start telling me what to do. Not much else to do until then except start ordering all the parts I don't already have in the basement that I needed to replace anyway and have those ready to do while we're* working on the newest... issue.

Thanks again for being cool and letting us tag along on this adventure. We'll see if we're back up in time for the float - if not we'll just show up in the Subaru and be shunned. ;)

OH! We saw what looked to be a year match and edition as our bus headed West on 70, literally less than 10 seconds after we stopped. They waved, but had faces that were about as crestfallen as our own once they saw our hazards on.

* I say we a lot, but really they just tell me what to - I'm just an idiot who listens and turns wrenches.

Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:51 pm
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post Re: Good meeting you all... and the breakdown lowdown.
I was wondering what had happened. We went into Columbia and had lunch, that's why we were quite a bit behind you time wise. Ted was hitting his brakes and all I could see was the wreckers lights flashing until I had passed and then I cound see your bus being hauled up onto the flat and it looked like you all were sitting in the shade in chairs. Figured with the wrecker already there you had the situation under control. Your right on the location thought, that area is terrible. Hope you don't have serious problems but what you describe does not sound good.

Good meeting you all as well. Hope you get the Westy back up and running soon.

Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:09 am
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Quote:
Figured with the wrecker already there you had the situation under control.

I mentioned to Sarah how glad I was that everyone was pragmatic enough to realize we were good and drive on. Unfortunately my phone is dead as dead can be right now, otherwise I would have given you a courtesy call earlier. Oh well.

Quote:
Hope you don't have serious problems but what you describe does not sound good.

Yep. Nothing on the short list that I rattled off in my brain over the last 12 hours or so gives me much hope. Guess I'll be learning a lot.

Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:04 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Believe me! When we came motoring thru that shit-hole of an underpass in that "S" turn, and then spotted the flashing lights of the wrecker, and then saw it was one of "us" as we rolled by, I instantly thought exactly the same thing! I can't think of a more dangerous curve (and narrow to boot!) to break down. Bummer!

But we knew you had a tow truck on site and he was about to pull your camper up on it's back, and it would have become far more dangerous for our three vintage oddities to also pull over there too. Some moronic "lookie-looo" doofus would come sailing around that bend, under the overpass, see us all on the shoulder, loose it and crash right into all of us. We knew you were in good hands and just kept on moving. VERY SMART of you all to get away from the vehicle and down that slope, just in case. You're all good-lookin' youngins', and smart too!

Best of luck with that motor, I hope it isn't too bad, and that you're running, even stronger very soon! Keep us updated!

Bill

Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

tyler wrote:
We'll see if we're back up in time for the float - if not we'll just show up in the Subaru and be shunned. ;)

Subaru is fine and wouldn't be shunned. This might turn out to be a VW and Subaru campout. I know of two other Subarus that should be showing up.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:40 am
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Nice to meet you all. Give us some updates.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 899.84 KiB | Viewed 1163 times ]
Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:10 am
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

It's been a long month or so. After this morning, it looks like #1 is toast and the other three have about 50% compression. Motors dropped and sitting in my buddies shop, with the bus parked outside. So now the question is: do I find someone in town to do a rebuild, or buy a long block online and slip it in?

It's all down to a question of time vs money, I guess.

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:26 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

I don't know if Al Shelton does much work on Type 4 motors nor not, and Pat Hoffman has built a few (one for my '79 Westy many years ago). Those are the only two I can think of in town who "might" be proficient with T4 motors. If you decide to mail-order a long block, check out the feedback on the provider first! Buyer beware! Local builders you can easily bring a problem back to for fixing, not so much with mail order suppliers. There may be no issues, or...

Bill

Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

don't waste your time & money on rebuilding a wasserboxer... go Subie, Zetek, Tiico.. etc.. any of them are good!

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:35 am
Profile WWW
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

There running a fat chick Brian. No wasserboxers there!

Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:33 pm
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Any updates on the bus?

Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:32 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

You got that beast running again yet? Spring is here, camping season already! Hope to hear good news from you guys!

Bill Bowman

Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:33 pm
Profile WWW