View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:33 pm

Thanks Lind Bjornsen for my new OG SWR paint decklid! 
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Thanks Lind Bjornsen for my new OG SWR paint decklid!

I've been enjoying the hell out of this original SWR paint Double-Door Panel since I put it back on the road (after over 30 years of storage in Texas barns) back in 2000. An awesome old girl! She originally came with a Bastard motor, but is running a stock 1961 40hp engine now, purrs like a kitten!

Our buddy Lind has visited before and had seen this Panel Bus up close. It's taken me a few years doing a section at a time every once in a while to polish out the oxidation on the original SWR factory paint. But the decklid was the one place that had lots of mild surface rust, where the SWR paint had flaked off in lots of spots. I imagine that for a while the decklid was removed and sat flat in the sun for a few years and took a beating from the sun and weather.

My long-term plan was to one day remove the decklid and have my painter sand it back to bare metal, straighten any little dingles, seal and prime it, and then along with the roof, shoot both in color-matched-to-the-sides SWR paint.

Fast forward to 2015...

Then as I arrived fashionably late to the Red Barn swap meet during the April 2015 Kelley Park weekend, Lind came running up to me. With a sense of urgency, we wisked me away to a swap vendor friend of his named Chad and showed me something hidden away inside of Chads Split-Bus. Now I actually arrived late on purpose, as I had no plans to shop for or buy anything that day, and when you arrive late, usually all the cool stuff you might want is already gone! But there in the Splitty was a very nice condition, correct era, original paint SWR engine decklid that Lind had convinced his buddy to not display or sell until I arrived. Lind remembered my Panel and it's dingy decklid, and had decided that this was a match made in heaven. He even showed his buddy photos on his phone of my Bus and my decklid, and thankfully Chad agreed and stored it out of sight until Lind could put us together. I was a little shell-shocked, it wasn't cheap, and when Lind sensed that I might be balking, he said something to the effect that "if you can't afford it now, I'll even buy it for you and you can pay me back later. This decklid HAS to go on your DD Panel!"

Long story short, his buddy Chad gave me a better deal and I came to my senses and made a Saturday afternoon run to the ATM machine and on Sunday at the Kelley Park Meet I paid cash for this awesome old OG Paint decklid and packed it up for the plane-ride back home to St. Louis. Thank you so much Lind for thinking of the "match" and helping to make it happen! And thanks to Chad for the sale, and for hanging on to it until I got there!

So I finally got around to swapping out the decklids. Side-by-side there is no comparison in the looks department. I spent an evening polishing up both sides of the "new"decklid, touching up some little bare spots underneath the license plate area and around the hinges with SWR, and then transferred the light, latch, cover and hinges to the new decklid.

Here is a side-by-side comparison shot of the two lids...

The new decklid looks so nice that now I've got to go back and rub out the rest of the surrounding SWR paint on the body to get it to shine more like the decklid if at all possible. Even if it doesn't quite match, the new one looks a hell of a lot better than the original lid, and now I have a SWR spare!

Thank you to Chad, and thanks especially to Lind for putting the two of us together. My Panels' ass looks a hell of lot better now!

Bill Bowman

Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: Thanks Lind Bjornsen for my new OG SWR paint decklid!
:shock:
. Mr. . Lind . Was . A b s o l u t e l y . Correct !!!
:mrgreen:
NO comparison, this one is SO much better !!! ,,,, & your 'touch-up' paint is a perfect Match !!
8)
mazelTov !!!!!

Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:22 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: Thanks Lind Bjornsen for my new OG SWR paint decklid!
Lind has always been my hero!

Yes, it is still startling for me to walk around the back of the Bus and suddenly NOT see that rattier looking decklid! This one makes my ass look so good! Plus I've been dying to do the swap just so I can finally install the new chrome cover for the "church key". Ass-end complete!

Bill

Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:57 am
Profile WWW