View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:41 am

Judson project 
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: Judson project
Dean wrote:
Willeye wrote:
Dean wrote:
It's suppose to double the horsepower.... Lots of old magazine articles on them, like Road & Track, etc. Some of those gave horsepower figures.

Not sure how 50% increase is double, those calcuations don't sound right.

Ok mister math expert. I said it's "suppose" to double the horse power, I never said it did. Read the old articles and you will get all kinds of different HP ratings, and opinions. Who cares? It's cool. Yes it brings the old 36 horse up to about a good running 1500 or so.

Just saying that a 50% increase isn't the same as double. That would be 100% increase. 50% more than 100 is 150, not 200. BTW, I'm certainly no math expert.

Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:41 am
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Now, now. Let us all play nice! I have read that 10w motor oil is an acceptable lubricant to use in the oiler, however I will use Marvel Mystery Oil. If for no other reason than it sounds more exotic!! I will be very happy with the unit if I find the Ghia to have roughly the same power as that of my '73 Beetle 1600 DP. Not sure if it will, but we shall see. Dave

Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:31 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Did you get an "oiler" assembly with the Judson? Most Judson kits came with a "Marvel Mystery" oiler assembly that slowly drip-fed Marvel Mystery oil to the Judson supercharger housing to lubricate it. There are probably other brands of drip-oiler assemblies that could be used, but you should be able to find a MM oiler somewhere. The Judson install paperwork mentions the proper adjustment of the drip-rate for the supercharger.

On the side, I ALWAYS use Marvel Mystery oil added to the gas in the tank in all of my older air-cooled engines (4 ounces per 10 gallons of fuel) as a top-end lubricant to replace the lead that was long-ago removed from fuel as a lubricant. My motor guru swears by it, and it's relatively cheap valve and valve guide protection.

Bill

Last edited by BulliBill on Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

NOS Ampco from George Folchi. Wondered about the effectiveness of MM in the gas, may have to try it! Dave J

Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:52 pm
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

A lot has happened over the last couple of months. Won't bore you with all the details, let's go to the pictures! Project is complete and runs great!! Pulled a local hill at 60-65mph that usually knocks it down to 50 or so. Dave J ImageImage

Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:13 pm
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

LOOKS COOL! 8)

1955 Bug
1966 Bug
1958 Panel Bus with extra windows!

Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:11 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Looks awesome, nice job! Very cool especially on a Ghia. Drive over sometime! I wanna ride in dat!

Bill

Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:51 pm
Profile WWW