View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:08 pm

My life is now complete: tootype2crazy's bay single resto 
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post My life is now complete: tootype2crazy's bay single resto
I have a thing for bay window buses. I have driven one since I was 17 and am 32 now. Ever since I was a wee young lad, my dream car has been a single cab bay window pick-up. Well, the VW Gods have smiled upon me, for I am now the proud owner of a 1970 Single Cab!!!
Attachment:
IMG_1543.JPG
IMG_1543.JPG [ 947.02 KiB | Viewed 1526 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1544.JPG
IMG_1544.JPG [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 1526 times ]

Bay window trucks are exceedingly rare for a couple reasons. First, they led hard lives as working vehicles and are usually beat to death. Second, the chicken tax made them expensive to the point that they did not sell well, and indeed, their sales ended in the US in 71

I will be doing a rolling restoration on it. I don't plan to keep it totally stock. I want to put a late bay beam and vanagon backing plates and drums on it for better braking. It will also be getting a six rib bus trans and hopefully a 2160cc, aluminum case, fuel injected engine. It has a fair bit of rust repair to be done, but from the cab forward it is very solid. The major thing it needs is a new bed and treasure chest floor, so I guess I'll be calling up KlassicFab. Windshield rust repair, rockers, and the driver's rear fender area also need attention. The passenger side gate has a large dent in it and I am looking to either replace it or find someone who can cut a piece out of another gate that I can weld in.

I was told it was a dealer parts running truck from the time it was new until the early 90s after which a fellow purchased it, wherein it developed some sort of problem so it was parked under a tree for 8 years. The single cab comes from Alabama originally. I will try to keep this thread updated with my progress, but my time is spread thin so the work will be slow. Fun times await!

Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:50 pm