View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:02 am

FINALLY got me a Thing! 
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: FINALLY got me a Thing!
well, long time no post in this thread eh?

Did a bunch of work around the house this weekend, and got the Thing out of winter storage.. and installed the BlazeCut I got for Christmas. It wasn't quite as easy as it's supposed to be, but still pretty slick. There just isn't much at all to attach it too in the Thing engine bay. I wound up drilling some holes and using zip-ties with a screw eyelet on them to mount the part along the rear (rear is rear)

Also washed it up and scrubbed the top, and all the black muck.. but still needs a good buff & wax..
We took it out to Forest Park on Sunday afternoon. Still running and driving great - Ebersbacher still cranking away as well.

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:10 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Looking good Brian

Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:30 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Pretty! You are doing right by that "Thing"! I have one "Blazecut" system mounted above the 36hp motor in the 1959 Double-Cab, and have bought two more "Blazecut"s for the 1959 DD Panel and for the 1967 SO-42 Campmobile. JOGR has all of the various length (3', 6', 9' and 12') systems on sale until his price increase on April 10th. I'm buying one more for later install in the '87 Westfalia. Nice "install it-forget it" Halon-style fire extinguishing system. Great idea for the install in your "Thing".

Bill

Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

cool car actually REALLY cool* . I bought a new Thing in 1973. I wanted a orange one but was told it was the end of the year and all they had was a yellow one that I ended up with. Loved it but it really was a lemon. I bought it at the dealership in Clayton and I lived in Arnold. So service was a bitch. It went back like 7 times for the front brakes. If you hit the brakes any where near hard it would pull the the steering wheel out of your hands. The gas heater was back at the dealer 13 times. Sometimes I would go to pick it up from service and it wouldn't work. I was at the dealership so many times that they showed me the circuit breaker on the backside of the heater by the wipermotor. In 1974 or '75 I worked in North St Louis and there was a hail storm that took out the back window the autotop place on I think Choteau at Jefferson ? put a new window in the back but sewed it inside the top not between the halfs and it forever would fill the back area with water. The timer on the heater could be set for like 30minutes? but you were warned it was like leaving the headlights on. I would heat up the car in Arnold toasty hot and by the time I would get to North St Louis my parka would be tight on my face and you could see my breath. There would be frost inside the doors (no insulation). I had put a Carter WCFB 2bbl carbarator on it. (made for VW's back in the day). Dual point ignition, performance exhaust, full gauges (head temp also), fog lights and roll cage with reversed wheels. I took it out in the dirt twice and had to be pulled out twice. It ran great but my friend had a about same year Ford Pinto with like the same changes on it and it would smoke me. I loved the car I paid $2880 for it in '73 and sold it because of a divorice in '76 to the Southland VW dealership and got $1800 for it. I never forgot it I loved it yes I have had probably 10 VW's in my life but even then I still say* "That was the coldest car I ever owned!" Good luck.

Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:19 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

I should of said a dual point distributor. One final note when I took it to Southland to sell it I pulled over before I pulled on their lot as the heater had quit again and I reset the circuit breaker. I loved that car. :cry:

Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:27 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Did some "Walshing" of the Thing this weekend.. did a full clay bar / polish / wax routine on it. man, that's a B@#$H with all the ridges and corners of a Thing!

Anyway, that paint sure had some life left in it I'd say!

Still being wishy-washy on getting the set of fancy glass side curtains for it though.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:45 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Brian...Thing looks great!

Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:17 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

drick wrote:
Brian...Thing looks great!

Thanks! Next I may try pulling the left front corner out and straightening the bumper. Would like to get them powder coated. Still want to POR15 the pan too.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:06 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

I wonder if Jerry Mc Mullin can help you out with the bumper powder-coating? I'm not sure how long your bumper blades are and if they'll fit in his oven... Tough stuff, that powder-coating. I've powder-coated the bumpers on my '59 DD Panel and it holds up to abuse rather nicely!

Bill

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:39 pm
Profile WWW