View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:02 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 FINALLY got me a Thing! 
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: FINALLY got me a Thing!
hey Brian, ive got a set of 14" jackamn style wheels i might part with if you're wanting for a Roy Jonas tribute looker Thing. just saying

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:23 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

widehatch wrote:
hey Brian, ive got a set of 14" jackamn style wheels i might part with if you're wanting for a Roy Jonas tribute looker Thing. just saying

no thanks, this beauty's staying as stock as possible.. Current tires are mis-matched, and the rims have a rattle-can silver paint job.. so when I go to get new rubber I'll be getting the stock rims painted properly as well.

Maybe I'll put some lettering facing out though... :)

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Polecat-3000 wrote:
Nice thing B.

Thanks! And a big thank you to all who came out to wrench or just hang out in the heat drinking beer!

Unfortunately the bum generator was confirmed, and we wound up pulling the motor so it's still not back on the road. We're leaving for NM in a few days too, so it will be a bit before I can return to wrenching on it.

Come to think of it... I don't remember busting my knuckles open on a flaps & thermostat linkage when I removed the above-the-starter engine bolt... I may need more parts than just a new genny. :evil:

To be continued..

Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

stl_stadtroller wrote:
Come to think of it... I don't remember busting my knuckles open on a flaps & thermostat linkage when I removed the above-the-starter engine bolt... I may need more parts than just a new genny. :evil:

Confirmed last night... I got no damned flaps, linkage, pull rod, thermostat bracket or thermostat at all. :evil:
Why the hell do people do this shit!? pisses me off!!! Ask the same hillbilly if they would ever remove the t-stat from their Ford or Chevy and they'd look at you crazy. But somehow that's OK to do on a ACVW... arrgh!!! :roll:

So, I got Everywhere Ed on the prowl for a complete setup, but if someone local can hook me up quick I've got cash American for ya.

Another one of my peeves is a header on an otherwise completely stock engine, which means it's just a shitty looking noise-maker, which in the case of the Thing means a noise-maker that will also burn your shins and melt your top when you put it down...
So I found me a complete OEM exhaust setup (not the million-$$ Stainless one from TTS though) and ordered that up yesterday.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:31 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Sorry no pics, but...

with the help of Everywhere Ed, and Master Mechanic Ted, I finally assembled a complete set of flaps, linkage, thermostat and a new generator and a new German Gen pulley from Archway. A new stainless steel OEM-style exhaust system from TTS was also installed.

Got it all back together and Ted came over last night. In what is to be known as the sweatiest evening's work in history, we got the engine back in and all hooked up, and she runs tight! And no Generator light!!!

However, as it is said no good deed goes unpunished... as I was hooking up the wires I noticed something askew.. my generator posts are a bit off.. more like at 11:30 and 12 instead of 1 and 1:30...

After some Samba searching, I believe this means that I have installed the inner pieces of the generator backing plate 180deg out.. (ie - the inner opening is facing up instead of down). It cannot merely be that the backing plate is bolted up 90deg out.. as this would place the lugs more like at 3 and 3:30 positions..

So yeah, this is fuckt.. and I'll have to correct it sooner or later.. but can anyone tell me that is means certain and swift doom? I haven't found anything stating otherwise yet.
I'm hoping that I can just put this off a bit and drive my car for a while, and re-visit this boneheaded derp maneuver later.

Also, THANKS TED!!!

Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

it will be fine. fix it next time you pull the engine

Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:58 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Yeah pretty sure I've done that in the past. Should be fine.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:41 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

I really need to update this thread with some pics...

Anyway, I've decided that I need a new set of tires sooner rather than later, but I want to re-paint the wheels before new shoes go on. The PO spray-bombed the rims on the car, and the result is as you'd expect.

The proper color is L97U Aluminum Grey (or RAL9007 in modern Glasurit parlance) or also known as "Argent Silver" and apparently used by many German auto makers as a wheel color over the years.

So, my question is - does anyone have a recommendation for a good, cheaper shop that can blast and paint the rims in the St. Louis area? I've had work done at Mann's Resto but their hours and distance (and cost) make them a far 2nd choice this time.
Some place with Saturday hours would be ideal.

Otherwise my fallback plan is to just get them blasted, but then spray them myself with rattle-cans of the proper paint and clearcoat.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

8)
4 words = Bulli Bill's paint guy
:mrgreen:

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:10 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Yep! I was gonna suggest my paint guy too (Jeff Burke), but their quality isn't usually cheap. I consider them reasonably priced for the quality I expect, but I wouldn't call them cheap. I don't think they work on Saturdays either, not sure... Jeff painted both Roy's 21-window Deluxe and then my '59 Double-Cab too.

Actually, Jeff still has six of my 15" wheels for my '59 Double-Cab at their shop (the Car Guy, LLC - http://www.carguystl.com) now waiting to get blasted clean and then primered and painted white (same as the other white bumpers, logo, etc that he already painted). They now stock and use the Galssurit paint system as of a couple of months ago since they moved to their new (much bigger) location in north St. Charles (on I-370 near the Elm St. exit). They are currently installing their own paint booth which should be up and usable fairly soon.

You could always pay to have someone sand-blast them and aerosol primer and paint them yourself to save bucks. Jerry Mc Millian (racing buddy of Al Shelton) is now powder-coating out of his garage, haven't seen his quality or pricing yet. I am putting together a set of 36 hp engine tin to have him powder-coat for the DC engine, so I'll have a better idea of his work in the future...

Bill Bowman

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

:mrgreen:
1. good
2. cheap
3. fast

is do-able ,,, any combination ^^^ of 2 out of 3 ,,, :P
:shock:
pick any two ^^^ , but all 3, at same time, is dayumng near IMpossible :roll:
:lol:

Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:02 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

yeah, it's just wheels on a daily driver Thing. On a scale of Earl Schieb to StL Car Guys, I''m definitely leaning more towards the Earl Schieb end.
Just painted in the proper color with decent paint and clear... not a hardware store rattle-can generic silver.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:15 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Had some fun with the 181 yesterday. With some helping hands from Rick Dennis, Rick Rhahmberg and Ted Morris, I finally installed my new seat padding kit from "The Thing Shop" and (mostly) preserved the OG vinyl covers...

Had the 1st seat out and dis-assembled before Rick D showed up..
nasty.

Frames were sprayed black and new horsehair pads put down, and then a layer of felt over the padding to give it a nice smooth finish..

Although only about 1/4 thick, the felt padding sure gave us grief putting the OG covers back on. we blew out a corner on both seat bottoms :x

One seat done before Ted arrived, and then the 2nd seat was done with a few more hands.. make a big difference..

Both in for my drive to work today, and WOW.. what difference!!

The comfort is night and day, and they look mighty fine too. Not all wrinkly and spring-pokey looking any more.

Bonus pic: Thing and Splitty together at last:

Thanks for all the help guys! It wouldn't have been possible w/out help!!

Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

The Thing seats look (and I'll bet "feel") a lot better than when I saw them on Saturday evening at "the Lot" show. Nice job, and a lot easier done with two or more pairs of hands! Now you can open up an upholstery shop!

Way to go guys! Now start buffing that orange original paint out!!!

Bill Bowman

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Got some good wrench time in on the Thing this weekend..

Swapped the bus wheels onto it temporarily while I get the Thing rims painted proper. Man, it looks good with bus 15's!!

There was also 3 different sizes of tires on the car... no wonder it handled like poop!

I got my backup lights working with the fuse holder Rick Dennis provided at BNNTA, and replaced the old rotting fuel tank filler and breather hoses with new. Hopefully I won't be gassed out of the car with fumes after I fill the tank now. It was so bad before it was stinky WITH THE TOP DOWN!

Also attempted to get the gas heater working, but the fuel pump isn't clicking with the fan running. Probably need to pull the assy' and clean up the points as Roy directed.

But there was the Thermostat...

As y'all know, I went through all the trouble to assemble all the correct
thermostat parts for the Thing - flaps, connection rod, pull rod that goes down
through the head, t-stat bracket and t-stat (thanks Ted! and Ed!).

I had all in except for the actual t-stat and bracket until yesterday.

I tested the thermostat, both in boiling water, and after I installed it and had
it all bolted up (I used a small torch and my IR Thermometer) - it opens
smoothly right around 190F.

My problem is the adjustment - you're supposed to screw the t-stat all the way
up onto the pull rod, and with the flaps open, you adjust the bracket so that it
just contacts the top of the thermostat.
You then pull the t-stat/rod down to the bottom of the bracket, fit the t-stat
into the slot and bolt it in. The flaps should now be held closed, and pushed
open as the t-stat opens up.

Well, when I put mine in, there isn't nearly enough slack in the bracket to get
it down to the top of the thermostat, so when I pull it down to bolt up, there's
only like 1/8 inch pull - which really doesn't close the flaps appreciably. I
can, in fact, still feel a great deal of air blowing out of the tin..

i drove to work today (34deg) and confirmed the hypothesis - engine never
reached proper operating temp and t-stat never opened up. IR thermometer only
has me getting up to the 120's.

So, what gives? I kinda think in the back of my mind that I've seen 2 styles of
thermostats over the years.. "fat" and "thin"..
or could there be different styles of brackets or pull-rods?

Other than the adjustment procedure, the manuals I have (Bentley bus manual and
Thing dealer shop manual) are rather vague on the parts involved.

Anyone messed with them much?

Halp!

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next