View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 BulliBill's 1959 Double-Cab restoration... 
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: BulliBill's 1959 Double-Cab restoration...
Got back from my LAX layover yesterday at noon (had to hit the "In'n'Out" burger at the end of the North runway for a Double-double and fries "Animal style"!), and dove right into the DC engine compartment. Fuel did not want to flow well to the fuel pump. I'd trickle a little gas into the carb throat and crank her over and she'd fire up for a second or three and die. Fun to hear it run even that short of a time. This DC has a NOS fuel tap, and the carb and fuel pump were factory rebuilt for the "exchange" engine program. Tank was cleaned and coated 15 years ago and unused since then. Wondered if I had a clog or plug somewhere?

I pulled the hose just after the fuel tap and fuel barely flowed out into a gas can. Operated the tap in regular and reserve and stop positions. Started to wonder if I had enough gas in the tank. Put the hose back on then pulled the metal line into the fuel pump. Dry! No fuel. Blew air back to the tank and could hear air getting into the tank. So fuel should be flowing nicely to the fuel pump. Weird.

Since I initially trusted the factory rebuilt items to be fine, even after all these years in storage, I had not dis-assembled the fuel pump. I was running out of ideas, and since I have the dealership fuel pump checking tools (in their own cool German wooden protective cases) for both 25- and 36 bhp (as well as 40 bhp and onward) fuel pumps in my collection of VW Special Service tools I decided to use 'em. So I whipped out the SST # 328 A and B tools. Off came the fuel pump. I measured the fuel pump rod (about 104mm long) and put the convex end back in toward the distributor drive. Then I mounted the SST tool in place of the fuel pump to check for correct rod stroke. Ahh haaa! It was a little off, so I added two more gaskets to get the stroke back within the correct stroke range.

Then I opened up the fuel pump (almost hoping to find a brittle NOS diaphragm), but the diaphragm was in soft, pliable condition after forty years! Hmmmmmm. Anyway, I used my SST tool mounted to the fuel pump bottom half in a bench vice to draw down the fuel pump diaphragm into the bowl the proper distance, then set the top on and tightened it down. Perfect! Bolted the fuel pump (added a little more grease) back on the engine.

Fuel flow right after the tap looked pretty good now. Squirted a little more fuel into the carb and the engine started but struggled to accelerate as if she was starved for enough fuel. Hmmm... Tried a few more times. I added some fuel to the obviously dry carb bowl, tried again and suddenly she started running just fine, so I immediately ran the 36hp engine up to break-in speeds of between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm and held it there for 15 minutes for the break-in run.

Woooo Hoooo! Drained the oil and saw nothing alarming. Refilled with fresh 30 wt. oil. After it cooled a few hours later I re-adjusted the valve lash (no surprises there), re-timed the distributor statically, and adjusted the new fan belt as it got a little loose breaking in. The engine is now pretty much ready for it's first drive, but I need to go over the front end to be sure I tightened everything up properly prior to taking this old Double-Cab out into my neighborhood, plus it's raining this morning...

Getting closer...

Bill

Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:25 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Okay, here you go! Enjoy my joy!

http://youtu.be/UI7w1_IeAGU

I drove it and shot that on Monday morning, and was having so much fun, I was almost late for "check-in" for my three day flight assignment (I didn't want to stop driving round and round). I put 11 miles on that bitchen formerly NOS "trip" odometer speedometer. Parked the DC back in the garage, ran through the shower, jump into my uniform and raced to the airport (ended up in Calgary, Canada on Monday night, then Austin, TX on Tuesday night). Just got back home this evening from L.A. and posted up the simply edited video for you folks. I should have spent more time on it, but... I'd rather be down in the garage or out on the road. I'll try to do better next time.

Bill Bowman

Bill

Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:30 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

It has been fun watching the progress. :P

Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:48 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Very nice Bill.

Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:07 pm
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

YUMM!!! In N Out Burger. I miss them. The last time I flew into San Jose CA. My first stop was In N Out Burger. I'm glad they stay open late.

Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:30 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Out in Los Angeles for the weekend to attend and enjoy Rich Kimball's "SoCal Treffen" vintage VW weekend. We competed in a 50 mile vintage VW driving timed rallye on Saturday against other old VWs in Tom Niedernhofer's bitchen' '56 original paint Coral Oval Beetle, had a ball! This morning we attend the show itself and I fly back Monday morning. Gotta get back, touch the DC, and repack to fly out and attend the "Jerome Jamboree" with Shaun and Roy Jonas this upcoming weekend. That's the latest...

Bill

Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:47 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

So between weekend trips to the west coast for two different VW shows during my month off on vacation, I put a little more mileage on the DC. I've been venturing out onto the Interstates lately, and I "own" the slow lane puttering along at about 55mph indicated. Don't worry, I don't go out on the road without my reflective "slow moving vehicle" magnetic sign.

Once I recently put 100 miles on the odometer, I dropped and changed the oil again (nice and fairly clean), checked the tightness of the fan belt and re-adjusted the valves (hardly any changes over 100 miles since the last valve adjustment).

A couple of weeks ago, just after the initial 20 minute "break-in" run at 2,500 rpms and lots of re-tuning(valves, timing, carb and fuel pressure, I added another cool old NOS part to the almost new factory "exchange" rebuilt 36bhp motor. I am so glad that I installed that NOS 25- and 36hp magnet to the oil strainer, as it was designed to collect any micro-fine metallic particles and kept them from circulating round and round the engine.

The NOS magnet and the spring that holds it in:

Placing the magnet into the bottom side of the oil strainer screen.

Notice the cool factory VW logo on the magnet:

Installing the spring that holds the magnet in place against the aluminum oil strainer.

Completely installed.

Here is a shot of the screen and magnet removed again after the past 100 mile run. It's hard to see, but through the oily screen you may be able to see a little bit of the dark, almost dust-sized particles held to the bottom of the strainer bell by the magnet.

I bought two NOS in-the-box 25- and 36bhp magnet kits from Bill Dericks long, long ago, and now I wish I had bought more! They are very cool and work quite well to hold any metal contaminants out of the oil flow!

I will now need to re-adjust all four brake sets, and then the e-brakes as everything is settling into each other. I'll also check/re-adjust the front wheel bearing and bend the lock tabs, and then re-check the torque of the rear axle nuts. Once those chores are completed I'll settle into driving her around for about 2,500 to 3,000 miles before another tune-up/service.

Despite the transaxle noise, this DC is a gas to drive! I'm taking her to a small VW Bus event in town today.

Bill Bowman

Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:14 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Neat magnet setup there.

Any change in the tranny noise?

Have a fun and safe drive into the city today in that beauty!

Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:08 am
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

No, not really. It is fairly loud at low speed but is almost okay at high speeds on the highway. I'll probably be on the hunt for a better split-case transaxle, although they are all a crap-shoot as to how good or worn-out they are. The drive went well roundtrip, no fuel starvation bucking at all. I kept it to 50 to 55mph in the slow lane. Real exciting out on the busy Interstates.

We look forward to seeing the CoMo gang at Volkstoberfest on Saturday!

Bill

Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:48 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Howdy all,

As you know I finally put my restored '59 DC back on the road in Sept, and while driving around and around in my local neighborhood putting some low speed, variable rpm miles on the "trip" odometer during my motor break-in period, I briefly noticed a Honda econobox of some sort pacing me and then I noticed the stranger taking a picture with his cell phone. I thought nothing of it.

A day or two later I believe it was Ted (Thorbus) who texted me this photo that was passed to him by a friend who knew that he loved old Buses, and thought that he'd enjoy seeing the snazzy Bus he spotted while out doing errands in his Honda. The caption from my buddy was something like: "you've been spotted by spy cameras while out doing your proving runs".

It's a small damn world!

Bill Bowman

Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

It was me. Looking great Bill! I missed it at BNNTA can't wait to see it in person.

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:28 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Thanks Brian for forwarding that, thought it was Ted. Grab Kent and come on over anytime and we'll go for a ride!

Bill

Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:34 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Hi all,

Well, it's been a busy Fall and now as of today (Dec 21st) we entering the Winter season. I took the DC out for a pre-storage jaunt to get it all warmed up and keep the fluids flowing and everything lubed up. We've not had salt thrown on the roads yet in St. Louis, but the weather dips down occasionally at night to below 32 degrees, so the bridges will soon be getting brine sprayed on them, so the "drive" had to be now. She ran great, still noisy in the transmission department, so I'll have to order up another one soon so that I can get it swapped out in the Spring. This DC is so fun to drive and really turns heads everywhere I take it.

I've still got a few chores to do on her. I need to sew/install the Neil P. reproduction heater tube wrap kit. Even without the insulation wrap in place yet the heat to the front cab is very nice, can't wait to see how much better it'll be once the entire wrap kit is on. I'll also be installing the '67 sway bar back onto the DC front suspension, paint the white VW logos onto the powder-coated hubcaps, etc., etc. So the Double-Cab is not totally completed, but certainly drivable and enjoyable. Just thought I'd send a brief update for you followers of this restoration.

Merry Christmas to you all! Stay warm, happy and safe with your loved ones this holiday Season! And love your old Buses whenever you can...

Bill Bowman

Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

brettsvw wrote:
BulliBill wrote:
Hi all,

Merry Christmas to you all! Stay warm, happy and safe with your loved ones this holiday Season! And love your old Buses whenever you can...

Bill Bowman

Sweet pic with gate down showing wood.

If I'd have only thought to lay a fresh Christmas tree in the bed, that could have been my Christmas card this year! Doh! Well Kathryn and I hope that everyone gets a little something special and VW under your Christmas tree tomorrow.

I have to fly/work on Christmas morning (takeoff at 6am!) for AA and will end up with a layover in Tuscon, AZ. Just my luck all the restaurants will be closed, and I'll have to order pizza delivery for Christmas dinner. Oh well, I'm grateful to have a cool job and don't mind travel/work on the holidays so much. We're "doing Christmas" this evening before I depart tomorrow. So if you're out in the yard playing with your new VW presents tomorrow and see a contrail above you, stop and wave!

Bill Bowman

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:44 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

So I'm adding the accessory "trouble light" to my Double-Cab, as a cool vintage accessory, and also just in case I need it late one night to change a tire or whatever.

The cage around the bulb features a rubber bumpered clamp so it won't harm paint. It has a long (about 20 foot) cord and a Euro accessory plug. I already have two female Euro accessory power sockets under the parcel tray all wired up and hot.

My question is: This came with a Oshram bulb, probably 12 volt, which lights dimly when pluged into my 6 volt system on the DC. Anyone else have one of these in a 6 volt version (what wattage of 6 volt bulb do you have?), or can someone suggest what wattage bulb I should install for general lighting purposes in such a "trouble light"?

Thanks for your suggestions on wattage.

Bill

Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:52 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next