View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:19 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 BulliBill's 1959 Double-Cab restoration... 
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: BulliBill's 1959 Double-Cab restoration...
I'm pretty sure they bolt to the spots in each corner of the bed, at least it's that way on Single Cabs. That one looks like it clamps in that little channel on the front of the bed. Agree interesting

Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:18 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Correct, my "original" German factory taller bow set, the front box/hoop mounts to the cab deck floor as well as to the bulkhead wall with already factory provided M8 threaded holes (I plug those unused forward holes with M8 Stainless Steel bolts/washers/neoprene washers).

Cool set-up!

Bill

Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Took her out for a Fall spin the other day...

The noisy transaxle is getting noticably quieter, wonder if it was tight and just breaking in? Probably just the quiet before the storm. Just in case, I have another drum to drum '59 Transporter transaxle being built, pretty much finished and ready to ship from SoCal. Nice to get it out before tucking it away for the Winter nap.

Bill

Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:04 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Took her out for a short spin to loosen her up and get the fluids moving in all departments. Nice day, no salt on the roads yet, about 45 degrees out and the heater works AWESOME! It'll work even better once I crawl under there and finish installing the heater tube insulation coverings made by Neil Pickett. So far I have only installed the covers on the two short flexible metal tubes between the forward ends of the heater boxes and the sound baffle/mufflers on the body. Ought to be a bit hotter up front once all the covers are on!

Best news, as I parked her back in the garage, the odometer read exactly 900 miles on her since the restoration.

Bill

Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Very nice Bill. As far as miles it is still in demo service as us new car guys would say. Looking forward to seeing and you at BNNTA 2017. Brother Mark is back at work after 6 minths off and is ready to go even at 75% health. VW's have healing properties.

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:40 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Glad to hear that your brother is up and running well again. Yes, VW's have a way of making me smile and feel better all the time I'm around them... See you at BNNTA in Sept!

Bill

Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:37 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Just took the '59 DC out this past weekend in honor of the visit in STL of Roy and Dawn. Roy helped a lot with body work on this DC, and he really pushed it's restoration to the front of my "to-do" list by convincing me to go and get it from the shop down near Dallas, TX and bring it back on his trailer years back. And bringing it out in the 29 degree weather was no big deal, there was no salt on the roads and the DC has a nice, tight stock heating system. I got to lead the VW caravan to/from Shawns house for the reunion with the Jonas's and was very proud to clog up the slow lane on Hwy 61 for all the modern speed demons! 53 mph is where it's at Man!

Bill Bowman

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Nice To See the Bus Holding up Traffic Last Week.

Looks Awesome in any Light.

SeeYa.
Ted.

Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:29 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Awesome shots Ted! That was a fun afternoon and evening! Great to see the Jonas's and everyone else there!

Bill

Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Well, it wasn't today, but a few months back I nervously drilled a small hole in the upper surface of my painted rear bumper to mount up one more accessory, a NOS "hooded" Hella back-up white light and connect it to the pre-laid wire which was connected up front to an NOS Ambulance back-up switch that screws on between the NOS "trip" odometer speedometer and the new speedo cable. Works "bitchen"!

Close-up of the NOS Hella brand "hooded" back-up light prior to install:

The completed work, subtle but cool as well as functional:

Although I was a bit nervous approaching that pretty bumper with the drill, with a pre-punch and slow care, it all worked out great. Despite being a 6 volt system, it really lights up to the rear nicely at night if you need to see the area that you are backing into. A peculiarity about this vintage accessory system is that you have to move the vehicle about a yard in either direction before the switch will kick on or off the "hooded" light fixture. So when you go to park for the night, you've got to move forward enough to kill the light after backing in. Takes a little getting used to, but well worth it.

Bill Bowman

Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:38 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

DAMN Bill! Your bus looks outstanding in that pic with the fall color in the background.. and that reflection!! Get outta here!

hey - so are you saying the light is hot, even with the ignition off? So it would stay on after you'd parked? That would be rather peculiar I think...

I went in a slightly different direction with the Syncro... I just mounted up a Hella 55w fog lamp on the back! :)

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:35 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

So the switch is in the speedo cable and only activates the light when the cable spins backwards and goes off when it spins back fwd? That sounds like a pain in the ass and more trouble than it's worth.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:20 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

All the parts are NOS (even the wiring harness is brand new), and it all works as designed over 50 years ago, all parts are are fairly rare in NOS condition to have, so I "accessorized" the DC a little with NOS era-correct goodies. If you went into a dealership back in 1959 and asked the service advisor to have a reverse light added to your brand new 1959 Double-Cab, you'd have exactly what my DC has installed back then by the dealership.

Peculiar/primitive operation, yes, but pretty "bitchen" on the coolness and accessory charts. I'll get used to it's operation, I'm tickled by it!

Bill

Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

I'm pretty sure if I'd bought that at the dealership back in 1959, I'd be back the next day saying "what is this crap you sold me, can't I just turn it off and on when I want with a switch?"

But I also think if I'd bought a new split bus back in the 50s or 60s, I'd be bitching at the dealership the first time washed it and ended up with water on the inside or the first time it left an oil spot in my driveway.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:29 pm
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

So a couple of weeks back, I took the DC out for a mid-Winter spin, nice weather and no salt out there, and realized I had put almost 1,000 miles on the restord DC. So I kept driving so I could watch the rare "trip" odometer speedometer turn over to 1,000 miles.

Wooo hoooo! So when I tucked the DC into the garage, I gave her a celebratory oil change while she was still good and warm.

Bill

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:43 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next