View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:11 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
 BulliBill's 1959 Double-Cab restoration... 
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post Re: BulliBill's 1959 Double-Cab restoration...
Yay! Onward toward 2,000 miles! Linda, I know these aren't probably the photos you wanted to see to get through your snow storm, but as this VW "exchange" 36hp engine is breaking in, I was curious how well the add-on accessory VW magnet that I installed was at attracting fine particles of break-in metal in the oil flow. So I snapped a few photos of the filter screen and cover plate before cleaning them.

Still dripping with old oil, in this shot you can see the bottom of the oil strainer screen and the clipped-on VW magnet:

In the following shot, with the screen flipped back over, you can barely see through the oily screen the areas around the perimeter of the "bowl" where the super fine particles of metal collected, attracted by the magnet below the bowl. Pretty cool magnet to get the ultra fine stuff flowing through the engine out of the flow!

Finally a shot of other fine debris in the strainer cover.

I know those aren't the best shots to get you through your winter storm today, so I'll try to find something more fun to post up later Linda! Dream of Spring to come and driving your SO-42!

Bill

p.s. On my other (larger) engines, I have attached "cow magnets" (bought at Harbor Freight, etc) to the bottom of the larger 40hp and up engine strainer plates to do basically the same job. They are quite strong, and if there is metal floating around in your oil those magnets ought to pull the tiny particles out of the oil and hold 'em still to your cover plate for your next oil change.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:45 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Someone over on theSamba.com asked the story on how I got the above VW accessory magnet kit . I replied there:

To answer your question, the accessory magnet shown in the discussion above is an actual period correct VW accessory for your 25hp and 36hp engine oil strainer screens. Sold by VW parts departments back in the day, this kit had a cool VW box (seen in my thread a ways back), and clipped in to the bottom-side of the oil strainer while you were doing an oil change/cleaning of the screen. Quite hard to find, and I've never seen a VW kit for the 40hp and onwards engine. Back in the mid-'90's I saw these for sale at Bill Dierickx Wolfsburg Warehouse when it was up in the Seattle area. I think there were five or six of these VW boxed kits, and I remember buying two of them. I still kick myself today for not buying them all for my other VWs with 36hp equipped engines. Damn!

So when I wanted to do something similar to my 40hp and onward engines, I bought a 3" diameter "round base magnet" from Harbor Freight (see photos below for the part and part number). Simply open the package, clean off the bottom of the oil strainer metal plate, and stick that bad boy on there. Pretty simple. A stong magnet, it ought to attract any metal particles floating by in the oil stream and keep them from circulating until you remove the strainer screen and plate for your next oil change.

Here is one installed on the 40hp engine in my '59 Double-Door Panel Bus:

What the package looks like at HF:

I hope this tip helps all of you out!

Bill Bowman

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:51 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Yesterday I was off and able to attend a growing and fairly new St. Louis region all VW Show called the "Spring Thing" hosted by Russ and Jodi from Air-Cooled Antiques. I decided to drive the Double-Cab to this fun show.

The show was held on the grounds of the Schlafly Bottleworks (Microbrewers) in Maplewood, MO. Awesome Springtime weather, great hosts in both the VW Club and the folks at Schlafly's, a great menu of food and tasty microbrews, live music and a packed parking lot of 100 older VWs! Lots of great friends were hanging out together, you get the picture!

When the awards were handed out, several of our local VW nuts were selected for honors, and at the very end, I was a bit shocked to have my 1959 DC presented with the "award growler/bottle" (complete with a fill-up of my choice) for the "Best in Show".

It was so nice to be honored for this old Transporter and all the years and time we've sank into her refresh. Thanks to all my buddies and everyone for their attendance, and for this honor that made this cool event even more memorable! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again soon at the upcoming MAM "Funfest" weekend.

Bill Bowman

Sun May 07, 2017 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

It's been a while since I posted about my old Double-Cab. I've had a very busy Summer so far, attending a few local VW events, travelling North America as a flight attendant for AA, and of course taking a two week vacation travelling over to the Netherlands, Belgium and of course Germany to attend the pre-show festivities at BBT in Belgium, the trip to and the weekend at the incredible Hessisch-Oldendorf Vintage VW Treffen, some mid-week adventures at the Wolfsburg factory and Autostadt as well as visiting private VW collections, and then attending the European Bug-In in Chimay, Belgium the next weekend before flying back across the Atlantic Ocean and returning home.

Anyway, back to the '59 Double-Cab. Since I initially had a pretty noisy split-case transaxle installed in the DC, a while back I thought I had better start to look for another transaxle to swap out. About 17 months ago I contacted Rick Wright at "the Wright Gearbox" to see about having him rebuild an era-correct small-nut transaxle reduction box-to-reduction box. For a little back-story, a few years ago Rick rebuilt a freshened Oval Beetle split-case transaxle for my upcoming 1957 Beetle Kabriolett restoration and it turned out great. So I had him start on the Bus transaxle. He had to go through his stored cores to find one with a serial number close to the production date for the DC and would then start the process. Rick said that he went through five cores to find the best used internal parts to use and properly set-up the transaxle. So good news, here is what finally arrived this morning on a large pallet from UPS Freight!

And here is the special "transition" nosecone and hockeystick correct for my DC...

and here are the solid (seamless) axle boots...

... and the powder-coated axles tubes and reduction box haves.

This rebuild took quite a long time to complete and then ship, but I wasn't in a hurry, and I really wanted Rick to get this one right to replace my noisy tranny. Funny thing was, while waiting for the newest rebuild, my current transaxle in the DC was getting quieter and quieter the more I drove it. It is driving great, and sounds much better now, perhaps it was just a little tight and is now settling in. Anyway, the Wright Gearbox unit is finally completed and here, so for now I'll store it with his other Beetle unit and use it as needed in the future. Nice to have a nice back-up unit in storage.

Bill Bowman

Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

amazing! so do you even plan on swapping them out now or just leave the current one in?
I'm going to have to check this guy out for my SO-33 build...

'87 Vanagon Syncro Westy / Subaru EZ30d conversion

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:40 am
Profile WWW
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Hi Brian,

For now I'll probably just continue to run the now quieter Holcomb rebuilt transaxle. After previously selling off a barn full of cores and parts, Connie only had three cores lying about to tear apart for the best parts he could locate for my transaxle rebuild.

Yep, "the Wright Gearbox" does nice work and the owner says he has a mountain of cores to pick from (though not so much of the "split-case" era early transaxle cores anymore). He prefers to dis-assemble and pick through good cores to find the best used German parts for his builds. I initially asked for all new bearings and he insisted that for longer reliability he preferred good used German bearings, and preferred to use them before modern bearings, unless he had to. It took quite a while for him (the owner Rick Wright is the only one who builds/sets up the split-case transaxles) to build and ship my early transaxle, but later model "tunnel" transaxles are more plentiful and quicker to finish, and many are already finished and on the shelf waiting to go. He can do just the center section (cheapest), or like me, the whole transaxle out through the reduction boxes, or anything in between. Here is one of his Samba.com ads:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=1752681

Bill

Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:52 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27